Getting VAT registered

dave29

I'm currently working full time and want to set up a business ( more a hobby) in selling online.

Most of the suppliers are asking for VAT numbers .

I'm ordering from companies inside the EU and will be selling online to mainly Irish people.

How do i get VAT registered?
Do i need to register with CORE first?

Will my current boss know i've setup a company and are vat registered ?

this is just a side project that won't turn into a full time job.. it's not even related to my current role. Just a long standing hobby that i'd like to start selling items related to it.

I've got the online stop setup already. But can't order stock until i've a VAT number.

Any tips or ideas ?

Thanks.

If you are selling to retail customers, you DO NOT want to be VAT registered, as you will simply have to suffer the VAT yourself.

Unless your income is expected to be over the threshold (€37,500) you are not required to Register for VAT.

Give your suppliers your PPS Number. This is also your tax registration number, and should be fine for the suppliers. They will not know whether it is a VAT number or not as it will pass any check they perform, because it is a valid tax reg number.

I just tried that as well. It seems that it does confirm that the number is not registered for VAT. However I dont see why this should be a problem for your suppliers, as they simply need to identify you for tax purposes. The easy way is to ask for a VAT number but whether you are registered or not is not relevant to them, as you are not selling to them and will not be charging you VAT.

If they are based in other EU countries they will have to charge you VAT as you are not VAT registered, but you would have to pay Irish VAT if you are registered in any case.

They should accept the PPS.

If they don't, I suggest that you look for another supplier as being VAT registered will cost you 18.7% of your turnover, less any vat you can reclaim.

Back