Getting someones name from car number plate

you have received a poor service from the gardai. this is a simple procedure. you must make a statement of complaint in writing to a garda which you are prepared to back up by going to court. the obligation is then on the garda to investigate the matter. you have the number of the jeep. they should then be able to track who had use of the jeep on the night. if this was done you will probably find you will be re imbursed. from what you have said the gardai have done very little. you need to find the name of a good garda in your area, the one you got only paid you lip service. as a victim you are entitled to certain information but giving the reg plate details is a breach of data protection act. but you must make a statement of complaint

if you are on good terms with a gaurd..or know anyone who is,they will run the reg on the computer, only takes a few minutes......worth a few pints of the black stuff though!

if you are on good terms with a gaurd..or know anyone who is,they will run the reg on the computer, only takes a few minutes......worth a few pints of the black stuff though!
These searches are recorded and linked to the guard, so if there is a later complaint, it will be clear what guard did the dirty deed. Not worth a few pints to lose your job.

These searches are recorded and linked to the guard, so if there is a later complaint, it will be clear what guard did the dirty deed. Not worth a few pints to lose your job.
a guard in this country would nearly have to murder someone to be in any danger of looseing their job...i dont think doing a search of a car reg on a computer would cause him/her in any great problems.

Cheers for all the ideas - I want to keep it above board if possible the country is corrupt enough without paying a gard off with pints!

Will write a letter to the local Gardai as suggested and make it more official than a word with one of them in the station. I agree there is more they could do in this case.

Non-payment of a bill is usually a civil matter, to be dealt with between the person claiming the money and the person from whom it is claimed. The Gardaí have no role to play in it.

In the situation being discussed here, the driver of the vehicle seems unlikely even to be a party to the case, but a witness. Sorry, Yeager, I think you are unlikely to get anywhere by going down this road. Write the letter, and hope for the best, but don't expect anything.

Data Protection Act

a guard in this country would nearly have to murder someone to be in any danger of looseing their job...i dont think doing a search of a car reg on a computer would cause him/her in any great problems.
As above. Guards have been sacked for this.

Will write a letter to the local Gardai as suggested and make it more official than a word with one of them in the station. I agree there is more they could do in this case.
Best idea yet.
Civil/criminal lines being blurred here.
It might be sorted by a simple phone call though. It may have been a simple mistake- the "culprits" might have assumed the b&b will bill them from credit card details given on the phone or they might have "forgotten" to pay.

There used to be a system where a Solicitor could write to the Motor Tax Office and receive registration details for a small fee. I am not sure if that has changed since the Data Protection Act was introdduced
It didn't have to be a solicitor anyone could do it but that was before shannon I think. So you would writes to the motor tax office in the county where the car was regd enclosing 5 old pounds i do believe

if they left at a suspicious time or manner it could be reasonable to asume that the same vehicle picked them up, hence accessory after the fact , approach gardai with this view and make a statement in writing and seek action

Back