Life Getting mortgage protection with arthritis

M

mariposa

I am wondering what my chances are of being approved for mortgage protection, as I have arthritis ( not rhuematoid, on no meds for over a year - still have yearly checkups though). What are my options if I'm declined. I have one dependant and would be nervous about taking out my mortgage without any insurance.

Underwriting is done on a case by case basis depending on a persons medical history. I have seen people accepted, loaded and declined depending on the severity of the arthritis. Best thing to do is put in a proposal to a company and take it from there.

Declinature options would include;
- applying to a company that might take on proposals declined elsewhere at a higher cost.
- if you are over 50, applying for some cover on an Over 50's plan that doesnt require medical evidence (again this would be more expensive than a regular policy).
- if all else failed and you could still get a loan (doubtful given banks current lending criteria), start a savings account and save what you would have paid in premium as a rainy day fund.

Hope this helps

www.CheaperLifeAssurance.ie

Back