German online service for cyclists and pedestrians to report dangerously parked cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn’t be a separate issue if an accident occurred due to a cyclists behaviour. Would you include scooters in cycle lanes? Motorbikes?
No it would still be a separate issue.

Accidents as a result of cyclist behaviour happen, but are rare, it's likely pedestrians cause far more road traffic incidents and injuries. However, it's still motor vehicles and motorists who are responsible for injuring and killing the majority here.

Mind you clamping in situ is hardly a clever option!

Clamp them until a tow truck arrives. Even if clamping them leaves them a bit longer and cause more immediate disruption, people will learn not to park dangerously.

Nor is overstaying your welcome at a parking meter, which would I'm sure also attract the ire of the citizen denouncers.

It's not the same thing at all. If I run over by a few minutes in a valid parking place , it's not a danger to anyone.

No it would still be a separate issue.

Accidents as a result of cyclist behaviour happen, but are rare, it's likely pedestrians cause far more road traffic incidents and injuries. However, it's still motor vehicles and motorists who are responsible for injuring and killing the majority here.
It is not a separate issue in my opinion. Out our way on a Sunday morning it is like the Tour de France. Cyclists riding 4 or more abreast. They have caused numerous accidents. It seems to be a sport that ‘MAMILS’ embrace.

Clamp them until a tow truck arrives. Even if clamping them leaves them a bit longer and cause more immediate disruption, people will learn not to park dangerously.
Yep, a fair point I'd concede.

It's not the same thing at all. If I run over by a few minutes in a valid parking place , it's not a danger to anyone.
Sensible people like you and I would agree. The aggressive anti-car brigade basically see any private car use as planetary treason, or worse, for which clamping is merely an inadequate substitute for the death penalty.

The aggressive anti-car brigade basically see any private car use as planetary treason, or worse, for which clamping is merely an inadequate substitute for the death penalty.

I don't know anyone like that at all. I have not seen any post on askaboutmoney.
Most , if not all , cyclists I know are also drivers.

But drivers who don't cycle, often behave outrageously and they should lose their license.

Brendan

However, that's block as in seriously obstruct to the point that a wheelchair, buggy or pram can't get by. A wheel or two up on a 12 foot wide footpath reducing it to 11 usable feet isn't really the same thing.
But this is a problem. One guy puts a wheel or two up. The next the whole car. It's setting a bad precedent when you turn a blind eye. You either follow / enforce the law or you don't. If you can't fit your car into a space then park elsewhere.

Accidents as a result of cyclist behaviour happen, but are rare,...
I'd agree, but rare isn't never. About 5 fatalities and 500 serious injuries per year in the UK. Can't find comparable Irish statistics.
it's likely pedestrians cause far more road traffic incidents and injuries.
That I find surprising, unless you mean injuries to themselves by walking out in front of traffic.

However, it's still motor vehicles and motorists who are responsible for injuring and killing the majority here.
Yes, of course. But to paraphrase the NRA: cars don't kill people; drivers kill people. I would imagine (admittedly without any quantative research) that the sort of driver who drives aggressively behind the wheel of a car is exactly the type who would cycle aggressively when put in the saddle. So perhaps we should be targeting ALL aggressive and dangerous road behaviour rather than engaging in an ideological hate-fest against private cars and drivers.

But this is a problem. One guy puts a wheel or two up. The next the whole car.
Not too hard to draw a distinction here. :rolleyes:

It's setting a bad precedent when you turn a blind eye. You either follow / enforce the law or you don't.
Proportionality and discretion are recognized elements of the law.

If you can't fit your car into a space then park elsewhere.
Or make the spaces bigger.

It is not a separate issue in my opinion. Out our way on a Sunday morning it is like the Tour de France. Cyclists riding 4 or more abreast. They have caused numerous accidents. It seems to be a sport that ‘MAMILS’ embrace.
Illegal parking and illegal group riding are still different issues. Both are a factor in the pretty abysmal adherence to road traffic law by a large number of road users

I'd be interested to know how those cyclists have caused numerous accidents though, so that is rare? Are they novice cyclists who are not up to group riding who end up crashing into each other or are these accidents the fault of car drivers who think they are superior and so should be permitted to overtake dangerously just to get where they want to go a little bit faster?

I can't speak to other places but in Dublin if you are parked illegally and causing an obstruction, they lift the car to a nearby location and clamp it there.

Illegal parking and illegal group riding are still different issues. Both are a factor in the pretty abysmal adherence to road traffic law by a large number of road users

I'd be interested to know how those cyclists have caused numerous accidents though, so that is rare? Are they novice cyclists who are not up to group riding who end up crashing into each other or are these accidents the fault of car drivers who think they are superior and so should be permitted to overtake dangerously just to get where they want to go a little bit faster?
Ah, how wonderful it would be if the world and the human beings who inhabit it were as simple as you appear to think. I don't know a single driver who thinks s/he "should be permitted to overtake dangerously" but I know lots who are complicated creatures who are capable of making poor decisions when under stress. Stress is multi-factorial, some of which are controllable by the driver and some that aren't. And stressors include eejits in Lycra who think they own the road and have that special glow of self-righteous entitlement that comes with their mission of saving the planet from their fellow inhabitants. Not alone do they think they have the right to be inconsiderate to motorists, they think it's actually their duty to do so. And there's nothing as dangerous as a zealot infused with quasi-religious devotion to eradicating heresy. Or heretics.

That I find surprising, unless you mean injuries to themselves by walking out in front of traffic.
Yes, injuries to themselves or others due to drivers swerving to avoid them. Alcohol often being a factor. In cyclist caused incidents, it is usually themselves who suffer and similarly with cyclist/ pedestrian collisions, the cyclist usually comes off worst.

Yes, of course. But to paraphrase the NRA: cars don't kill people; drivers kill people. I would imagine (admittedly without any quantative research) that the sort of driver who drives aggressively behind the wheel of a car is exactly the type who would cycle aggressively when put in the saddle. So perhaps we should be targeting ALL aggressive and dangerous road behaviour rather than engaging in an ideological hate-fest against private cars and drivers.
That's exactly it, people are people. Most of the real idiots on bikes are young and male, just like most motor accidents are caused by young male drivers. Getting on a bike or into a car does not immediately change one's nature, though there is an element of motorists taking more chances because they perceive they are safe within the car (the Peltzman Effect)

I feel a lot of the anti-cycling brigade seem to fall into the aggressive and dangerous road user category, their complaints often being based on a perception that cyclists are slowing them down in their superior right to the roads. The argument that cyclists should only travel in single file is a prime example as that only makes it more difficult to overtake safely. Travelling two abreast as permitted (more is allowed if they are overtaking) as they think it makes it easier as you only have to cover half the distance on the other side of the road.

While I wish all road users would be a little more respectful and tolerant of each other, in terms of policing, it only makes sense to concentrate resources on those doing the most damage.

Cycling in a tight bunch is the safest method for a large group of cyclists.
If they were to cycle single file in a string hundreds of metres along a narrow road the impatient car drivers would force their way past ignoring the safe space overtaking rules and more cyclists would be injured and killed.

. I don't know a single driver who thinks s/he "should be permitted to overtake dangerously"
Yet thousands of them do it every single day. The problem is most of them don't perceive their actions as dangerous.

And stressors include eejits in Lycra who think they own the road and have that special glow of self-righteous entitlement that comes with their mission of saving the planet from their fellow inhabitants.
The fact that lycra seems to offend you so greatly is a reflection on yourself. You do you find it necessary to judge people by their choice of clothes? Do you also mock those working on building sites for wearing PPE?

Cyclists are as entitled to the road as you or I when we are driving. As a more vulnerable road user us motorists have a more onerous duty of care to act with sufficient caution around them.

If someone is stressed to the points of making poor decisions simply by the presence of a cyclist in lycra, they should not be allowed drive.

Not alone do they think they have the right to be inconsiderate to motorists, they think it's actually their duty to do so.
You don't know any cyclists do you?

Cycling in a tight bunch is the safest method for a large group of cyclists.
If they were to cycle single file in a string hundreds of metres along a narrow road the impatient car drivers would force their way past ignoring the safe space overtaking rules and more cyclists would be injured and killed.
Exactly. and you can see that in action particularly on the hilly routes around Wicklow. Tight bunch of experienced cyclists and you'll get past them soon enough. 5 or 6 novices out for the day hear a car coming and sting out into a long single file making it a real challenge, having to wait for a rare longer straight to get past.

Yet thousands of them do it every single day. The problem is most of them don't perceive their actions as dangerous.
Grand so, element of truth in that. Climbdown appreciated from your previous claim that they actually think they should be permitted to overtake dangerously.

The fact that lycra seems to offend you so greatly is a reflection on yourself. You do you find it necessary to judge people by their choice of clothes?
I perceive a correlation between bad cycling behaviour and Lycra wearing eejits. Perhaps I'm wrong but that's the way it seems to me.

Do you also mock those working on building sites for wearing PPE?
Why on earth would I? Construction industry has serious safety issues and PPE is essential and helps saves life and limb.

Cyclists are as entitled to the road as you or I when we are driving.
As entitled, yes. More entitled, no. Entitled to break the law on group cycling, certainly not.

As a more vulnerable road user us motorists have a more onerous duty of care to act with sufficient caution around them.
Likewise cyclists vis-a-vis pedestrians.

If someone is stressed to the points of making poor decisions simply by the presence of a cyclist in lycra, they should not be allowed drive.w
Mere presence, yes. Careless, inconsiderate and downright illegal behaviour is different and will undoubtedly induce stress. Stress is multifactorial and whether any particular stressor is the straw that breaks the camel's judgement and decision making, who can say? But it would be ostrich like to simply ignore it.

You don't know any cyclists do you?
Now you're just being silly. I cycle myself occasionally. As does my wife, children, siblings, and assorted other relations, neighbors, friends, and acquaintances. Most also drive too. They tend to see both sides of the car/bike divide, and have experienced of both sides. Most roll their eyes in despair at the eco-warrior, car-hating type of cyclist.

Grand so, element of truth in that. Climbdown appreciated from your previous claim that they actually think they should be permitted to overtake dangerously.
I think you misunderstood. They think they should be permitted to overtake crossing continuous white lines, on bends, or into oncoming traffic. Their mistaken perception that it's not dangerous doesn't make it so.

I perceive a correlation between bad cycling behaviour and Lycra wearing eejits. Perhaps I'm wrong but that's the way it seems to me.
My perception is exactly the opposite. Those in lycra are generally more experienced and better cyclists who know how to 'ride safe' and take an appropriate road position avoiding the risk of potholes, debris or car doors opening. Of course some motorists don't like that as they'd prefer cyclists to just get out of their way. The folks on lycra are also more likely to be on bikes costing in the thousands that they're less likely to take chances on damaging them. Likewise in cars, it's often the younger drivers in relative bangers that are more like to drive like idiots.

Why on earth would I? Construction industry has serious safety issues and PPE is essential and helps saves life and limb.
It just seems you don't understand that lycra is as appropriate a choice of attire for regular cycling at any distance.

Mere presence, yes. Careless, inconsiderate and downright illegal behaviour is different and will undoubtedly induce stress. Stress is multifactorial and whether any particular stressor is the straw that breaks the camel's judgement and decision making, who can say? But it would be ostrich like to simply ignore it.
It would indeed, as I've said, I wish all users would better adhere to the law. Of course it would be similarly ostrich-like to suggest that the numbers of incidents of cyclists acting carelessly, inconsiderately or breaking the law isn't significantly dwarfed by the number of motorists doing likewise. And motorists are the ones who are killing people.

If the sight of a cyclist in lycra who will only likely hurt themselves doing something stupid is a significant source of stress for someone, it only follows that the sight of another motorist would induce a far greater stress. After all, cyclists don't kill motorists, but other motorists do.

And stressors include eejits in Lycra who think they own the road and have that special glow of self-righteous entitlement that comes with their mission of saving the planet from their fellow inhabitants. Not alone do they think they have the right to be inconsiderate to motorists, they think it's actually their duty to do so.
Other stressors include eejits in cars who think they own the road and have that special glow of self-righteous entitlement that comes with their mission to get to the shop for the pint of milk in the fastest time possible. Not alone do they think they have the right to be inconsiderate to cyclists, they think it's actually their duty to do so.

We could continue with this back and forward basing cyclists and motorists but it's pointless. Motorist dominate the roads and the roads are configured for their needs and not cyclists. Cyclists are the poor relation here. Most cyclists want a more equitable (and safer) environment. And most are not lycra wearing eco warrior car haters. Most are car drivers. I really don't see why there is such bitterness and hatred from your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back