Gas won't turn on

Kev S

Hi there,

I'm after moving into a second hand house last month and the gas had to be switched back on. It worked fine for the first few weeks after I got re-connected but last night I tried to switch it on and the gas didn't come on.

The "bar" was at 0 and I was told it should be between 1 and 2 so I turned the knob so it went up to 2. But still the gas won't come on - it sounds like the gas is trying to go through the pipes but is stuck or something.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did ye fix it?

Thanks for that MANTO. There's actually two "clocks" in the boiler press. One of them is on the boiler cover and the other is coming off one of the pipes. But I think the one coming off the pipes is not in use anymore.

I turned the tap in the press and the "bar clock" on the boiler cover went up past 2. I'm pretty sure its the water pressure as when I turned the tap, a few drops started leaking. Could it be the fact that it went past 2 thats the problem? Is that too high?

Hi Kev.

Do you by any chance have the manual from the boiler. Just been reading various threads and definitely sounds like water pressure,

there is also this thread - http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=72766

If you cant find the manual i would recommend a boiler service (gas safety you know yourself).

Another option may be to call the Appliance Servicing line in Bord Gais - they may be able to help you over the phone, i know if they think its plumbing related they wont send anyone and waste a call out charge so maybe their deductions might help?

1850 632 632

Thanks again Manto. I'm at work at the mo but I'll have a look for the manual when I get home. I called Bord Gais there but they said they can't tell me anything over the phone as their engineers are out on jobs. So I've to either try fix it myself or get a boiler service.

Back