Gas on-demand water heaters

moondance

The apartment I'm buying has gas central heating and this on-demand water heater which means no immersion. I'm wondering how efficient these water heaters are - in terms of cost to run and also how well they work.

I've only experienced them in the mobile homes in France on the camp sites. They run them from standard super ser gas bottles over there and I loved using them. They take up little space and only use gas when they need to. This has to be more efficient than heating an immersion.

The hot water usually came on after 2-3 seconds of running the tap.

They also had them on the shower and it worked perfect every time.

I think they are the way forward

I think the Gas Boiler and the on-demand heaters are separate units. Gas Boiler for the central heating and on-demand heater for the hot water.

Maybe I'm wrong

I had one in an apartment in Belfast. It was one unit which worked the heating and gave on-demand hot water. Great in many ways (convenient and greener) and I would love to have one now. The down-side was that it was a complicated system and repairs were costly. It broke down twice in two years and repairs cost €750, but maybe I was unlucky. If I had to replace my boiler ever though I think I would install one here.

I have one in an apartment abroad. It supplies hot water for heating and for showers also. No storage tank just hot water when you need it. Seems to be the way it's done in apartments in Europe where everyhting is mains pressure driven and storage and header tanks would take up too much space. The pressure is much better there I might ad and having a shower is just like in a hotel. Mine cost about 750 euros fitted and is very economical.

re condensing combi-boilers

have used them in ni,uk and europe - effecient and space saving
gas companies in uk and ni are fitting them as matter of course on new connections to apts and smaller houses and removing hot/cold storage tanks

local link - no relationship with suppliers

[FONT='Arial Narrow','sans-serif']http://www.rvr.ie/default.aspx?subj=html/condensingboiler.ascx[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial Narrow','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Arial Narrow','sans-serif']M[/FONT]

Would be interested in this from the point of view of using it for hot water/shower in a log cabin. How large of an opening would be required to vent from these combi's? I ask this as i would prefer not to puncture the wall of the structure.
I wonder could a length of pipe be attached to vent out through a point in the floor which will be used as access for other service cables/pipes?

combi gas boiler will need a balanced flue, so about a 100mm exit to the outside of the building. It is also a legal requirement when fitting a gas appliance that it have an unimpeded air inlet - by using a balanced flue one, the air inlet and exhaust pass through the same opening in the wall, so your building airtightness is not compromised...........bore away !

Back