Gas Cooker

Josey Wales77

I bought a hotpoint gas cooker double oven. I changed the jets in the hobs and they are fine but both ovens and the grill have huge flames and a strong smell.
Can anyone give me some advice on this please?
Would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Hi Josey, welcome to AAM. Please edit the title of your thread to make it more meaningful. This will help you in attracting those with the knowledge you seek reading & replying to your question.

To start, are you on natural gas or bottled, and is the stove the correct type to match?

Hi Josey, you should not be converting a gas appliance yourself unless you are Registered Gas Installer (RGI). It is a criminal offence otherwise. There are many rigorous safety procedures to ensure are complete before using a gas appliance especially when converting from one gas type to another.
The gas oven and gas grill must also be converted and if you continue to use this appliance unconverted, you will produce high levels of carbon monoxide and endanger yourself and your family.

If you are not a RGI, then I very much advise you to visit www.rgii.ie and seek a professional RGI to convert and check over your appliance. By law you must also install 2no CO alarms with your new flueless appliance, one in the kitchen and another within 5m of your bedroom doors. This measures are there for reasons of safety.

A competent RGI will also check the gas soundness of your pipework and ensure the regulator working pressures and hose connections are correct. Hoses must be replaced maximum every 5 years and regulators maximum every 10 years. Hoses pushed over onto copper pipe held in place with a jubilee clip is also not acceptable. There are correct transitional fittings for this.

I hope this helps and I am not trying to beat you with a stick but I see far too many LPG bottle installations that are far from safe.

Back