Garden Wall face with stone?

fatboise

I'm looking for some ideas for my garden wall.

The wall is a retaining wall that is built with blocks of the flat but the problem is that there was no drainage put in behind the wall and hence the wall is constantly damp. The wall is only 3 ft high and because of the lack of drainage the plaster on it is coming of and the wall in generally very unsightly. I have drilled a few holes to help the drainage but this hasn't helped much.

I don't want to take the wall down and redo it as it would be a very big job and would be very disruptive because of it's location.

I'm think if I could face the wall with some type of stone it may improve the appearance. I would be grateful to hear what suggestions are out there?

how big are the holes u drilled and at what centers and at what level?

Small holes will get stuffed easily so I would be looking at 75 mm at 1 to 1.5m centers along the bottom.
You will then need to cater for this water flowing away.

The plaster is popping off in part due to the water pressure, also in part perhaps due to shoddy workmanship: eg using fairy liquid as the plasticizer or using 2 much plasticizer.

To build on what alser has suggested, if u are going to face it with timber, fix the first layer of battens in the vertical to aid drainage down the wall and facilitate air flow behind what ever you sheet it with.

40 mm by 30 mm or so pressure treated battens fixed vertically at 400 centers with 100 mm by 5 mm or 6 mm screws [stainless steel or galvo'ed as a base will last a long long time. I know this will take time over someone using a hilto gun to fix them rapido but u dont get get what you dont pay for

Pressure treated timber that is continually wet in the ground will only last 5- 7 years but if u ventilate it and keep the end up off the bottom then happy days.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought about facing it with wood and will have to revisit this idea again based on your advice.

In my limited experience I was thinking about some sort or stone that could hang on a bracket which would allow the ventilation that would be required. Is this a commercial system that I'm thinking about?

In my limited experience I was thinking about some sort or stone that could hang on a bracket which would allow the ventilation that would be required. Is this a commercial system that I'm thinking about?

Yes, that system is often used to face mass concrete commercial blocks. I'd imagine it might be very expensive in a small domestic setting.

Back