Garage Dispute

pinkladyapples

Hi, I have a small company and when our works car broke down we sent it for repair at the dealer we bought it from. Normally the dealer gave us a replacement vehicle, it was one of the reasons we went with them. However, it took them 12 weeks to fix the car, in the interim we had to hire a vehicle for some of that time until they gave us a replacement car. When we were given the bill I took the car rental we had paid off it. The dealer now sees this as outstanding and is going legal etc. The amount outstanding is less than €1,000 but I wonder if we have a case, given we were used to getting a replacement vehicle as part of the overall service.

These are known as "courtesy cars" in the trade. I see no obligation on the dealer to supply you with one for an extended period.

12 weeks is a long time, If they were too busy to repair the car, then they should have offered a replacement or suggested you go else where. My take on it though, is that there were parts issues, and they cannot be responsible for that.
Adjusting the bill amount was pretty cheeky, If I were you, I would pay up before this gets any deeper and salvage the relationship with your dealer.
If you still think you were hard done by, you have the upper hand by paying the bill in full and then seeking a balance refund by going through the proper channels.

The poor dealer, you should have spoken with them prior to making a deduction, you have lost whatever goodwill and sympathy they may have had for you, cheeky is a mild word to describe what you did, try and make it right through dialogue.

Thank you all for your candour. I put this up in summary and did not give the blow by blow account of how we had to ring the main manufacturer to chase the parts because the dealer hadn't bothered, or the fact that our spare tyre was stolen from the car while it was parked in the dealers yard for those 12 weeks or the fact that we had reported an engine defect while the vehicle was still in warranty but they failed to act on it until it was out of warranty. "Poor Dealer" indeed!

It's nice to be able to respond with the full facts. Bypass the garage, report the theft to the Guards and approach the manufacturer / distributor with the other information, which hopefully you have documented in you interactions with the dealer.

BUT, for now you must pay your bill. Pay it under protest, dispute the line items on the bill you are unhappy about but you must approach any adjudication process with clean hands.

Can you claim car-hire off your business tax? Surely the VAT can be reclaimed?

Back