Fuel Prices

I never understand this "ripoff" commentary that you hear from people.
Yeah, especially when somebody cries "rip-off" but buys it anyway.
Fuel prices are the most transparent consumer goods prices out there.
Maybe so, but a problem is that is very difficult to find listings of current fuel prices allowing consumers to shop around. I use pumps.ie and Waze but both are very hit and miss. And for some reason I can no longer submit updates myself.

Its great to see the variety of prices. If they were all similar there would be accusations of a cartel. Pricing in stations is determined by the price they buy at - they may get stuck with full tanks when prices fall, and then have to keep price up to clear the tank while the guy down the road was lucky to be filling tanks at the new rate. "Rip-off" cannot reasonably be used for this, just drive past.

I use pumps.ie and Waze but both are very hit and miss.
Yeah, I have given up on pumps. All you need to create an account is a name and password, no email address or any other info needed. You can then update any garage price to whatever you choose. You could have any number of accounts with different names.

I have put up prices of lower priced petrol / diesel on several occasions, within an hour someone will have wrongly updated that garage at several cents more per litre. Presumably other higher priced garages under various user names are responsible.

Must have a look at Waze.

Last edited:
I never understand this "ripoff" commentary that you hear from people.

Fuel prices are the most transparent consumer goods prices out there.

The raw material cost is on every financial website, the refining margins are on several easy to find websites, the exchange rates are everywhere, revenue give the precise tax levels, vat is 23% and then the balance is what the importer and retailer gets.

Then the fuel station must display their prices on huge lit up signs so you can see the price before pulling in.

There is no product out there that is more transparent in terms of price.

A station is doing well to take 8c a litre.

At 1.78, it might be 10c a litre. Hardly a rip off

Btw, a 500ml bottle of ballygowan costs 26c in Musgrave's, yet many places charge €2 for this - THAT'S a rip off.
Perhaps, but this busy stationin Raheen is clearly making >8c a litre. In Cork , diesel is 166.9c this morning, a delta of 12c.

100% agree, its buyer beware, I stopped by mistake as my eye caught 168c , but that turned out to be the petrol price.

Perhaps, but this busy stationin Raheen is clearly making >8c a litre. In Cork , diesel is 166.9c this morning, a delta of 12c.

100% agree, its buyer beware, I stopped by mistake as my eye caught 168c , but that turned out to be the petrol price.
And yet you still bought the "rip-off" diesel?

It depends on when they bought it and the pricing they get from the distributor. This literally changes day by day

A fuel station is more dependent on sandwiches, cold drinks and coffee for their profits than fuel. I think Applegreen said once that if it wasn't for massive sales of coffee they'd be running at a loss. If your fuel prices are too high, your customer flow drops very quickly (as most people understand that there's no difference between fuel "brands") and your coffee sales suffer and therefore higher fuel prices actually means less profit.

I use a circle K fuel card which gives 4c off price at pump and a QR code from AXA insurance which gives a further 4c off. When Circle K were doing their reduced fuel in December it allowed me to use the QR code also.

What happens if the oil price goes back up again before the duties go back on? Eamon Ryan was pushing for these to go back on. He said we need the taxation to pay for welfare payments and salaries etc.
Leo Varadker is all spoof he said we need to protect people that are struggling with inflation ,that are working and paying mortgages yet these are the very people getting shafted while the government pays out more welfare payments. It looks like he caved into the greens again

I’ve noticed the one on the new cabra road is always 2/3c per litre more expensive.
Yes, maybe they're depending on those with Circle K fuel cards giving 4c (or more/less) off?
I have one myself via some AXA policy that I took out years ago.
But that particular forecourt used to be very expensive so it's good to see competition, in the form of the Go on the Old Cabra Road, having some impact.

I use a circle K fuel card which gives 4c off price at pump and a QR code from AXA insurance which gives a further 4c off. When Circle K were doing their reduced fuel in December it allowed me to use the QR code also.
I thought you could only use one or the other. Didn't realise you could use both and get 8c off.

I thought you could only use one or the other. Didn't realise you could use both and get 8c off.
Over Xmas I got a 5c/L off Circle K voucher that said that it couldn't be used with any other offer including fuel card discounts. But when I used the voucher and asked the teller if I could use the fuel card, he said yes, and I got the 4c/L discount on top of the voucher 5c/L discount.

Back