French apartment tax

cunninghams

I purchased a french apartment 2.5 years ago. It was only built about 18 months ago and I only started receiving rent in April of 2005. Can anybody tell me how i pay my french taxes i owe in france. I sit true that i have until this April to pay my dues?

If anybody knows of any website in relation to paying tax in francethat will help i would appreciate it.

Welcome to AAM, cunninghams, but please don't 'bump' posts — as per the .

There's some basic info in English [broken link removed] (note that I'm not endorsing the website, it's just what Google threw up).

Are you letting through an agency as they should be able to provide you with the paperwork necessary?

I take it that you understand that you also have a liability to Irish Revenue. Even if it is Nil you have to declare it.

cunninghams said:
If anybody knows of any website in relation to paying tax in francethat will help i would appreciate it.

Some info there on French taxes
[broken link removed]
and there
[broken link removed]

I posted an Indo link that contained useful information about the taxation of holiday/investment properties abroad including France. It's in one of the threads in this forum but I can't find it at the moment.

Hi Cunninghams,

You should contact the non residents tax office in Paris, they will send you all the forms:

CENTRE DES IMPÔTS DES NON-RÉSIDENTS
9, rue d'Uzès
TSA 39203
75094 PARIS CEDEX 02

Tél. : 33 (0)1 44 76 19 00, 01, 02, 03, 04 (switchboard)
Tél. : 33 (0)1 44 76 18 00
Télécopie : 33 (0)1 44 76 19 90

Email :
[email protected]
Site : www.dresg.net

It may not be straight forward and it maybe easier to appoint an accountant who will charge you about €500 a year.

Regards.

[Advertising deleted by DrMoriarty — please respect the posting guidelines]

Yes I understand that. But i do not need to pay tax here once i pay my dues i n France I hope??

asdfg said:
I take it that you understand that you also have a liability to Irish Revenue. Even if it is Nil you have to declare it.

Hi,
Thanks very much for all this. Should be a great help. Do you know if April i indeed my deadline-I heard non nationals have until then to declare?
EU PROPERTY said:
Hi Cunninghams,

You should contact the non residents tax office in Paris, they will send you all the forms:

CENTRE DES IMPÔTS DES NON-RÉSIDENTS
9, rue d'Uzès
TSA 39203
75094 PARIS CEDEX 02

Tél. : 33 (0)1 44 76 19 00, 01, 02, 03, 04 (switchboard)
Tél. : 33 (0)1 44 76 18 00
Télécopie : 33 (0)1 44 76 19 90

Email :
[email protected]
Site : www.dresg.net

It may not be straight forward and it maybe easier to appoint an accountant who will charge you about €500 a year.

Regards.

[Advertising deleted by DrMoriarty — please respect the posting guidelines]

cunninghams said:
Yes I understand that. But i do not need to pay tax here once i pay my dues i n France I hope??

There is a double taxation agreement between the 2 countries, so when you make your return here you will be given credit for the tax paid in France.

xeresod said:
There is a double taxation agreement between the 2 countries, so when you make your return here you will be given credit for the tax paid in France.

I do not think that's correct. French rental income for non-French resident is taxed in France and there is no relation whatsoever with Irish taxes, i.e. you do not get tax credit in Ireland for tax paid in France.

asdfg said:
I take it that you understand that you also have a liability to Irish Revenue. Even if it is Nil you have to declare it
Where did you get this information from ? do you have a document or link to back this up...
I have checked and double checked with French revenue, and i have it in writting that there is no liability to anybody else than the french revenue for French rental income. This is particular to RENTAL INCOME
Note: there is liability to Irish revenue for any other French income, i.e. stock trading, salary....

Tax on a french rental income is easy enough to calculate for non-resident.

First the taxable rental income needs to be define
2 options:
Option A (called Microfoncier):
only valid if total rental income is less than €15000
Deduct 30% (rate for 2006) from all rental incomes --> taxable rental income
For instance: rent is €500 pm, €6000 per year
30% of €6000 is €1800
€6000 - €1800 = €4200 <=== taxable income

Option B: valid regardless of total amount of rental income
There is not flat deduction as above. The landord can deduct all "cost" (insurance, tax "fonciere", renovation work, mortgage interest , management fee, etc...) from the total income

Landord decides with option A (if applicable) or B suits him best

Then, the due tax needs to be calculated
Again, there are 2 options non-resident.
In any case, the max tax rate is 25%
Option 1: (easy option)
The landlord decides to pay 25% tax on taxable rental income defined using Option A or B above. That's it.

Option 2:
Landlord gives proof of total irish incomes.
To these incomes, the taxable french incomes (calculated with option A or B above) are added.
Then based on marital status/ kids - no kids, the french tax man will calculate what your tax rate would be SHOULD YOU HAVE BEEN LIVING IN FRANCE. If the rate is higher than 25%, 25% is applied.
This is one of the advance of being non-resident. The other advantage is that non-resident to not pay neither CSG nor RDS tax, which saved them about 11%
This tax rate is then applied to taxable rental income to determine how much tax is owed.

Option A and Option 1 make the tax return very straigh forward, and no help is needed from neither accountant nor french tax office.

Bacchus

Is a non resident of France with French rental income exempt from paying the 10% social charges?

tnx

valc

valc said:
Bacchus
Is a non resident of France with French rental income exempt from paying the 10% social charges?
tnx
valc

Yes, he is exempt from CSG (Contribution Sociale Generalisee) and RDS (Remboursement de la Dette Sociale) which accounts for about 11%.

Thanks Bacchus.

One other question - am I correct in thinking if I buy investment property in France with mortgage from French bank, then the mortgage interest may be set off against the rental income.
However, if it is mortgaged through an Irish bank, then the French authorities will not allow the mortgage interest paid as a deduction against the income.

Tnx

valc

valc said:
One other question - am I correct in thinking if I buy investment property in France with mortgage from French bank, then the mortgage interest may be set off against the rental income.

Definitly correct if you opt for Option B described in my previous post

valc said:
However, if it is mortgaged through an Irish bank, then the French authorities will not allow the mortgage interest paid as a deduction against the income.

To the best of my knowledge but not 100% sure, French revenue will allow you to deduct Irish mortgage interest against French rental income if you can prove that the interest relates to a mortgage which was solely used to fund the French property and not to fund say an Irish property and the French property.

Thanks Bacchus.

I will have to opt for Option B as rental income currently exceeds €15k p@.

I need to check whether to opt for mortgage in France or Ireland. It will solely be used for financing the French property.

tnx again

valc

valc said:
I will have to opt for Option B as rental income currently exceeds €15k p@.
I need to check whether to opt for mortgage in France or Ireland. It will solely be used for financing the French property.

I take it you already have an investment property in France and are planning to buy another one. Correct?

Do you mind me asking
- where properties are and type of properties?
- what yield are you getting?
PM me if you want to go off line....

I have checked and double checked with French revenue, and i have it in writting that there is no liability to anybody else than the french revenue for French rental income. This is particular to RENTAL INCOME

Bacchus

Do you have it in writing from the Irish Revenue Commissioners that there is no liability for Irish taxes on French income ?

This quote from the revenue website seems to indicate that foreign rental income is taxable:
In general, income from foreign property is computed on the full amount of the income arising, irrespective of whether the income has or will be received in the State. In the case of foreign rental income this income is charged under Case III of Schedule D and the same deductions and allowances are available as if the income had been received in the State. Deductions are also normally available in respect of such income for sums in respect of foreign tax paid. This income should be included in an individual’s tax return on the Foreign Income panel.

Maybe I have misunderstood completely the gist of your post but personally I would not rely on the French revenue to tell me what my liabilities under Irish revenue are!

Back