Freeview Box

spinmaster

Hi,

I live in close to the Northern Ireland border and receive the four British [SIZE=-1]terrestrial channels through an arial on my roof, in addition to the Irish channels. My neigbour has just bought a new Sony LCD and is able to pick up a lot more channels (E4, BBC3 etc) throught this (he doesn't have Sky or anything, I think there may be a receiver built into the TV).

Am I correct in thinking that simply by buying a Freeview box I should also be able to get these channels? Will this work with my old CRT television?

[/SIZE]

yea freeview is built into the TV.. you can buy a freeview box esy enough and you should get these channels if your neighbour gets them... the freeview box is around 40 pound i think

I thought NI wasn't switching over to digital TV until 2012?

[broken link removed]

Perhaps the process has started there with a view to be completed by 2012

The 2012 significance is that analogue will be switched off in the UK in 2012... they currently broadcast both analogue and digital.

I live in Monaghan, about 1 mile from the Armagh border and use a freeview box (sold in most border towns) as I don't have a built in box in my (non digital) TV. I pick up maybe 30 tv channels (BBC 1,2,3,4, News 24, ITV 1,2,3,4, channel 4, More 4, Film 4....) and the same amount of radio stations - really great. I was told that if you receive channel 5 you have a good chance of picking up the freeview channels. Anyway they should allow you to bring it back if you can't.

any idea how close you have to be near teh border to use one of these?

Would Shercock in Cavan be close enough?

any idea how close you have to be near teh border to use one of these?

Would Shercock in Cavan be close enough?

Really don't know to be honest... give it a go.. just make sure you can bring the freeview box back to the shop if it doesn't work (you are entitled to do this anyway I would think)

just make sure you can bring the freeview box back to the shop if it doesn't work (you are entitled to do this anyway I would think)

You wouldn't have an entitlement to do so-it would be at the discretion of the shop.

I take it you need a satellite dish before any of this works??

I'm in the deep south (y'all ;)) and my freeview box with the Sky "yellow house" freeview card bought on ebay for £30 works a treat.

I take it you need a satellite dish before any of this works??
Don't confuse FreeView the UK digital terrestrial broadcast system with other more generic uses of the term or with Free To View or Free To Air satellite broadcasts. Note that there is no Irish digital terrestrial system at the moment. There are some trials ongoing but nothing certain about the technology that may be used or when an official system may be rolled out. Anybody buying equipment in anticipation of being able to use it to receive such broadcasts needs to be very careful. There is no guarantee that what works with UK FreeView will work here in the long run. As FreeView box may be useful if you can receive UK digital terrestrial broadcast signals. Anybody interested in this stuff should really look at this boards.ie forum.

Sky free to air. LG tv picking up the 4 irish channels in digital format. also have a smaller toshiba in one of the bedrooms. freeview built in. when tuned to digital format it picks up 34 tv channels (not to be confused with the sky free to air) however its does not store all 34 channels only around 15 of them. doesn't store the irish channels for instance. they are tuned in under the analog system, but for some reason wont store in the digital system, unlike the LG which has no problem storing them. Early days yet with digital terrestrial signals I would say.

Freeview boxes can be got from most electrical retailers in the North for about £30/ £40stg. No satellitte dish is needed. See [broken link removed].

Back