Fraudulent Visa transaction - any advice?

Well, folks, it's happened again.

Have been checking my visa account through AIB's online service every few days since the Vilnius fraudulent transaction on April 15 (€313 to a company called Aviaekspresas).

Tonight found €330 approx. to the same company a few days ago and a further fraud of €160 approx. to Aer Lingus - both were internet transactions.

Rang AIB and they agreed to do what I think a number of us believed to be the only prudent thing in the first place a month ago, namely cancel the account.

But what astonishes me is the systems failure here. They were already "investigating" the previous fraud and, while this "investigation" was under way they allowed a transaction via the internet with the same company as the original fraud (for almost exactly the same amount of money). This simply boggles the mind. Do they really have no way of putting a block (at least until authorisation is given by the cardholder) on a transaction identical in all material aspects to one which they have been informed within the last month to be fraudulent?

My name is oysterman and I'm proud to be an AIB customer.:eek:

Given that aviaekspresas is a travel agent and the person is most likely buying airline tickets, it should be reasonably easy to track him or her down, you would think.

Im sure the 'person' is back to Dublin from Vilnius already and should be easy to track down :)

Strange that they didnt cancel the card in the first place- I recently had fraudulent transactions on my AIB Visa - the first I heard of it was when they rang me to check whether certain purchases were made by me- about 10 different purchases of software for about €40 each and a few other assorted items totalling about €1300 or so. When I confirmed the purchases were not made by me, they immediately cancelled my card and sent a new card and PIN.

Wondering if your c.c. was copied at a retail outlet or online? Asking this because if the former, we'd all need to be checking on a regular basis.

If the latter, that's easily solved by using Transactonline (AIB). I started using it a while ago and it's great. You have to phone AIB's IT dept. and they set it up. The O Card generates a dummy cc number with every purchase so there's no worry any more about fraud - I hope!

I finally got round to checking my August statements for NIB Visa over the weekend and I noted what appears to be a double-posting of a transaction - same date/amount/merchant.

In the good old days, you could simply dispute it and seek a copy of the signature for both transactions. In the 'new improved' world of Chip & Pin, what information can the bank provide if I do dispute these transactions? Can they provide the time of the transactions? Or the detail of the products?

Cheers - RainyDay

Do they not still just do a chargeback on disputed transactions to find the authorisation (signature or, these days, some sort of chip&pin/swipe log)?

Each transaction should have a time index to the nearest minute printed on it. So if there is two transctions of equal amount occuring in the same minute then this should prove duplication.

Is that all that they can check? Does each transaction not have some other sort of identifying checksum/token or something like that

I am sure that there is some unique number genereted with each transaction but I do not know the term and where one would find this. Hypothetically if the error lies with the shop and the card was swiped twice for what ever reason then two unique numbers would be generated. So perhaps the time line may be more important.

I am sure that there is some unique number genereted with each transaction but I do not know the term and where one would find this. Hypothetically if the error lies with the shop and the card was swiped twice for what ever reason then two unique numbers would be generated. So perhaps the time line may be more important.

But if they swiped twice, my missus would have had to enter the PIN twice for 2 valid transactions to be logged - right?

During my college years I worked as a waiter and barman (in the pre-chip&pin era) and witnessed on several occasions the following scenario....Inexperienced floor staff swipes a cc for €13.60 instead of €136.00. This goes unnoticed until receipts are balanced at the end of the night. At which point the manager can access that same transaction and amend it to the correct amount.
As far as I understand, once a cc is used in a shop that transaction can be amend at any point for the remainder of the trading day.

I'll have to pay a fee of €3.90 (I think)
On top of the fee the merchants also pay to the bank.

So the answer appears to be that the banks are happy enough to bear the loss and, by deduction, the cost to them of encouraging the cancellation and redesignation of a compromised account outweighs the benefit of nullifying the information that the criminals hold about their customers.

I'd like to correct this. The merchant bears the loss, not the bank! The banks have no risk, they just collect their high commission.

As a merchant, we've had a few chargebacks, and we always are the ones that foot the bill. Sometimes fraudsters use our credit card processing system just to check a card works. They don't even want the stuff they are buying. No come back for us.

We've even had people forget that they ordered stuff. They then cancel the order, and we're left to prove that the customer did in fact legitimately order the goods (as well as a load of transaction costs)

I just checked my MBNA account online and 667 euro was paid to a firm through Paypal. We did not make any purchases and were in Spain at the time of the transaction.:mad: Rang MBNA and was told the department won't be open until tomorrow morning. OH insisted they cancel the card. He checked Paypal records and there is no record of this transaction on our account???

Well if your credit card has been registered to another paypal account your cc company should have a trail, as a cc can't be registered without a test transaction going through first.

Maybe your OH bought you a secret Christmas present?

Well if your credit card has been registered to another paypal account your cc company should have a trail, as a cc can't be registered without a test transaction going through first.

Maybe your OH bought you a secret Christmas present?

I wish! :) No we both spotted it. We don't really understand how Paypal could accept the cc no. when it's already registered as ours? MBNA says we're not liable if we didn't make the transaction. It's strange though because the statement says it was paid to Skate World, which, when we looked it up, sells hockey and figure skating equipment.

Cancel or replace the card right away if you didn't make this transaction, unless the cc company can tell you the mistake was at their end.

Yes we cancelled the card. The cc company said there was no need to do so, particularly as we hadn't spoken to the department who deals with this kind of thing (not open until morning). Mr. LW insisted. We only checked the balance online because we'd been away and wanted to see what the damage was. Normally we wouldn't have known about it until the end of the month. God knows how much more would have been spent on it by then. We have a limit of approx 15K!!

Well Paypal agreed that it was a fraudulent transaction. MBNA have to do their own investigation before they'll take the amount off our card. I was surprised to learn that they would not tell us anything about the transaction, not even which country it originated in. It would have been handy to know as when we get our new cards, we might still be dealing with the same companies/hotels.

Back