FIS vs P/T dole

L

lruane86

Hi!

I am due to start back at work next week. My hours will be part time - 3 days a week totalling 19 hours.

I visited my local social welfare office today to ask advice as to which would be more beneifical to me, FIS or P/T dole. She basically said she did not know. Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction as Im lost now!!

My partner and I are cohabiting and we have a 3 month old child. My partner is on jobseekers allowance, receiving 156 a week because he has an allowance taken off for casual work. I will be earning 170 after tax a week. We pay 500 in rent a month but could get that reduced to 450 which is the limit for rent supplement in our area. Is it possible to apply for rent supplement when working part time?

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated as I am just confusing myself reading the welfare.ie website.

How much does your partner earn per week?

The means test is calculated differently for Jobseekers if your other half is claiming FIS. While they cannot claim for you, and only a half rate for any children, the means are halved. So will need to know how much partner is working before doing the calculation.

Do you already get rent supplement? If not, then how long have you been in your current accommodation, and were either of you or your partner working when you started the tenancy?

He only gets small jobs so an average earnings of €30 a week which is taken into account with his €156 JSA payment. We were not getting rent supplement and I was off work due to being at the end of my pregnamcy when we moved into this house. My partner was in the same situation when we moved in as he is now. We moved in here on 16/03/12. We rented in another house from nov 2010-june 2011 if that would help satisfy the rule that you must have rented for 6 months to apply for rent allowance?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Back