Motor First time insurance - which is the cheapest?

B

billy.k

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a first time insurance here in Ireland.

I drove my mother's car for 3 years in Italy, but in Italy the insurance is on the car itself and the insurance company can only give a certificate stating that the insurance for the car owned by my mother didn't get any claim for the past 3 years.

So, I guess, I'm in the worst case scenario: a first time insurer.

I just bought a Ford Mondeo here in Ireland (2.0 TDI, 2006), who would you advice as first time insurance?

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks

Do a google search for insurance and get a quote from them every company and broker you find.

I've been insured for years, and i do that every single year. It takes a bit of time, but it's always paid off for me.

The problem with that is that i tried every single one and no one offers you a quote if you weren't previously insured - all of them state that I di not meet the criteria :(

Change the car to a 1 litre engine or less - Toyota Yaris, Daihatsu Sirion, Nissan Micra, etc

you mean "sell the car you just bought and buy another one with a smaller engine size" or "trick the insurance company"? I think both scenario wouldn't apply: the first is a HUGE waste of money, the second is out of the law

you mean "sell the car you just bought and buy another one with a smaller engine size" ...
Yes that's exactly what I mean; I fail to see how any reasonable person could interpret my post any other way.

For new entrants into the motor insurance stakes, engine size (cubic capacity) is critical to getting cover or even a quote as you have discovered. Basic research carried out in advance of purchasing a vehicle normally highlights this as a major issue for drivers looking for their first insurance.

The alternative to getting a car with a smaller, readily insurable engine is to keep the 2.0 litre car parked up and admire it from a distance, as you will struggle to get cover at any price.

The problem with that is that i tried every single one and no one offers you a quote if you weren't previously insured - all of them state that I di not meet the criteria :(

wasn't there something where you could approach the insurance ombudsman if you were refused insurance 5 times, provided you had written proof ? I know this used to apply for young drivers.

online insurers criteria is always that you have had experience. He isn't being refused insurance, he just isn't contact the right people. And yes as Mathepac said, it will probably be cost prohibitive as a novice driver with a 2 litre car!

Go to www.easyquote.ie get a quote it will then show you all the companies that will insure you and the premiums take them down decide and which company is for you and go to their site (or call them) and buy the policy you need
IMPORTANT: easyquote.ie charge a €50 fee so the real premium will be €50 cheaper

Back