First smart phone for elderly parent

telco

Hi there

I am looking to buy my elderly mum her first smart phone. SIM free DORO Liberto 820 mini appeals to me , as the home screen is very uncluttered and large screen with large buttons plus an app with instructions on using the phone/apps at her own speed . Problem is , she doesn't have internet connection so we are going to get data on a PAYG SIM. Re data usage I reckon she would use Skype , Viber and perhaps mobile banking , so not a lot of data consumption , at the same time I don't want her to have to top up more than she does at the moment , which for calls and texts is €25 PM ( still seems expensive to me - Vodafone I believe)
Any views on the phone and any recommendations on the PAYG SIM we should look at given her limited usage ?
Many thanks

Very very difficult to get an elderly person used to a smart phone and that's speaking from experience. You will have to be very very patient and teach her in steps.

Any views on the phone and any recommendations on the PAYG SIM we should look at given her limited usage ?

Cant advise on the best phone but look at lycamobile for well priced packages with data, and far cheaper than Vodafone eg €9 per month gets you 300 mins, 300 texts and 1gb of data ! You will need an unlocked phone though to switch to Lyca.

Very very difficult to get an elderly person used to a smart phone and that's speaking from experience. You will have to be very very patient and teach her in steps.
You could have knocked me down with a feather when I received a selfie from my 75 year old dad.So,some can adapt to new tech.

I usually go for similar model to my own... that way when sth goes wrong and you have to provide tech support you will be able to hit the ground running...

There are launchers like Wiser or Necta for Android (I presume there are iOs equivalents too) that give a nice simple UI with larger icons /text.

thanks for all the responses @Leo that's v interesting & news to me , could be the way to go along with lycamobile !

48months.ie offers some good rates for PAYG - I've been with them for a number of years without issue..

My dad is 78 on Sat and has a better phone than me...mine is a work one top of the range from Vodafone. Anyway my dad has taken to sending me a daily update as my Mam is away in the form of a PowerPoint slide. The issue is he has no idea how he is doing it nor do I. I get an 8.30am and 8.30 pm slide check in....my Mam vibers me daily with pictures taken by my 90 year old Nana.

Personally I'd go with a top up phone that you buy outright. Works out cheaper

Back