Exchange headaches (€500 note)

C

conn8500

I live in Canada and will be visiting Ireland in the next couple of weeks. It has been more difficult than I thought to get ahold of enough EURO for the trip. We could order it through the bank, of course, but the exchange rates are terrible, not to mention the surcharges. We went through a Currency Exchange kiosk, but the woman insisted on giving me two €500 notes (she said that with the amount I was buying she HAD to give me at least 1000 in €500 notes -- company policy).

I managed to talk my bank into breaking one of the notes, but have had no luck with the second. We were just going to hang onto it for emergencies and see if we could break it when we're in Ireland, but I've just read an article about Irish banks refusing to accept or break €500 notes.

Do you think we'll have a hard time unloading this note in Ireland? I'm not sure what else I can do about it at this point.

You certainly be able to break it in irish banks or retail stores . No need to worry !! Just make sure you get a real one .

Sure you won't get much change out of it after you buy a couple of sandwiches and coffees.

europhile said:
Sure you won't get much change out of it after you buy a couple of sandwiches and coffees.
Yeah , Welcome to rip off Ireland !!

Back