Ex-IMF Chief: Ireland is Insolvent

Fianna Fail are not a political party, they are a cult. And they have destroyed Ireland, again.
Politicians are a reflection of the folks who elected them. Dail Eireann needs to be reformed so that there are less TD's per head of population - so that 'parish pump politics' can be brought to an end.
(sorry if i've gone a little bit off topic...)

It's not off topic because the property bubble, the banking crisis, the budget defecit and NAMA are all due to the failed economic policies of Fianna Fail which were designed to enrich landowners and property speculators at the expense of everything else.

Just 1,500 borrowers are responsible for the 80 billion euro of NAMA debt. These were the Fianna Fail Galway tent lads and they have destroyed the country for a generation with their greed.

Then Fianna Fail have the cheek to turn around and say "we were all responsible" and set up NAMA to make sure "we will all pay for it".

A Labour/FG government almost bankrupt the country in the 80's they over borrowed so much. Labour especially are incapable of making any kind of hard decision in case it offends their trade union stock. Harsh decisions are what is needed to get us through this. Cowan was always a lousy politian never mind lousy leader. Lenihan at least is doing a good job. Do yo think Joan Burton would have the backbone to do what he has done. She is queen of the sound bite with little real knowledge. Richard Burton had given me some hope but I would rather a drunk Cowan than a sober Kenny as Bruton is marginalised.
As for that interview, I heard it and he answered the questions. I dont care about his/the presentation. It's just political point scoring nothing more. They are all the same... Ireland is insolvent but thats Ok as Joan burton will tell us when she is in government that the damage done by FF was too bad while borrowing to fund her pals in the civil service unions, while the IMF hover closer and closer with real harshness. From gombeen to incompetent if that makes you happy..

A Labour/FG government almost bankrupt the country in the 80's they over borrowed so much.

What an incredible rewriting of history. It was Fianna Fail behaviour in order to get elected in 1977 that initially bankrupted this country:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_history_of_the_Republic_of_Ireland#1980s

The 1980s in the Republic of Ireland was one of the state's bleakest times. An extremely irresponsible budget by the majority Fianna Fáil government in 1977, which included abolition of car tax and borrowing to fund current spending, combined with some global economic problems to ruin the Irish economy for most of the 1980s, causing high unemployment and mass emigration. The Charles Haughey and Garret FitzGerald governments made this bad situation much worse with more massive borrowing and tax rates as high as 60% (with one Fine Gael finance minister suggesting people were not being taxed enough). After joining the ERM in 1979, Ireland was also saddled for much of the 1980s with an overvalued currency, which wasn't rectified until the 1986 devaluation. Much of the capital borrowed in the 1980s went towards propping up this overvalued currency. Foreign investment, in the form of risk capital, was discouraged by all the evident difficulties.
This was also an era of political instability and extreme political corruption, with power alternating between Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael, with some governments not even lasting a year, and in one case, three elections in eighteen months. The problems were eventually dealt with starting in 1987 under a minority Fianna Fáil government but with help from the opposition led by Alan Dukes of Fine Gael under what was known as the "Tallaght Strategy", with economic reform, tax cuts, welfare reform, more competition and a reduction in borrowing to fund current spending. This policy was largely continued by succeeding governments. Considerable support from the European Union was the only positive aspect.

I'm reminded how Tea Partiers now pin the blame on 8 years of Republican spending on the Kenyan Muslim.

I am not a FF supporter.

[...]

Simon Coveney's behaviour today has cost this country

Let's nail this Fianna Fail hack excuse in the head yet again. Coveney twittered about it one hour after this issue had already gone mainstream and two international journalists had already written about it. Blaming it on Coveney was FF's headquarters no. 1 excuse, which has now backfired; they appeared to think the masses out there would accept the excuse that Coveney was King of Twitter (I thought that was Dan Boyle). I suppose it was Coveney who also made Cowen mock people with speech impediments.

I dont know where you get your info from. You must be in FG to be so defensive and blinkered. I have heard it nowhere that the interview was picked up internationally before Coveney's comments. I even spoke with an FG TD yesterday at an event who thought Coveney would not have wrote it if he had of known the fallout would have been as such. That was their take on it. You seem to be trying to spin him out of the equation.
That said Cowen is a plank and is costing this country dearly at the moment. He needs to go.
I love you quoting wiki for a history lesson. You do realise anybody can edit it.. I wouldn't disagree with anything in the quote. It's just a little thin my friend thats all. It's great to see such a long period of time can put in one synapse. That settle that one then!
As true as your short wiki sum up of that period is, a fg/labour gov did almost bankrupt the country in the 80's. I didn't read that in wiki by the way I remember it. However I merely pointing this out to another poster, as some people seem to be under the illusion the current opposition can do, and never have done, anything wrong or even suspect. I even recall AIB getting bailed out in the 80's and later it been disclosed Garret Fitzgerald received a £200k interest FREE loan from them. That was a lot of free money in the 80's when there was none. Was that in wiki or should I edit it?
Fitzgerald was a good politician and we could do with him today. It's a pity he is not in opposition at the moment, or Alan Dukes. Someone who actually understands the problems.
I think we should have a central committee to oversee any government, as like I said earlier they are all the same generally speaking and due to the void of talent all round, the country should be protected. A central committee of academics and scholars and experts (domestic and international) would give us more of a meritocracy with genuine intelligence and independence. Why are we letting former school teachers run the country at the most inappropriate of times..

I dont know where you get your info from. You must be in FG to be so defensive and blinkered. I have heard it nowhere that the interview was picked up internationally before Coveney's comments.

[broken link removed]

pat leahy, who was there, confirmed yesterday that the reuters correspondent was filing this story well before coveney did anything.

fianna fail's attempt to blame this entire thing on simon coveney (who i don't have a massive amount of time for myself) is risible and embarrassing. it wasn't coveney doing philip walton impressions in the bar at 3am.

It's a pity he is not in opposition at the moment, or Alan Dukes.

I don't know if you've noticed, but Dukes is the public interest director in Anglo, and what a wonnnnnnnderful job he's done there.

I cannot understand the FF vs FG vs Lab arguments in this thread.

THEY ARE ALL THE SAME. FF may have been in power but the others were not opposing any of the measures that have led to the worst of the problems.

We need a National Government with subject matter experts appointed as ministers (we will probably have to recruit beyond Dail Eireann to get this).
We also need to radically overhaul polictics to cut the numbers and try to ensure a better quality of person is elected (rather than the gombeen councillers we have right now). The country is shagged and it will not get better without drastic change. Sometimes I think we would be better off just asking the EU to run the place for us.

THEY ARE ALL THE SAME. FF may have been in power but the others were not opposing any of the measures that have led to the worst of the problems.

We need a National Government with subject matter experts appointed as ministers (we will probably have to recruit beyond Dail Eireann to get this).
We also need to radically overhaul polictics to cut the numbers and try to ensure a better quality of person is elected (rather than the gombeen councillers we have right now). The country is shagged and it will not get better without drastic change. Sometimes I think we would be better off just asking the EU to run the place for us.

Poster I could not agree more. It seems impossible to talk about this subject without the need to be pigeoned holed for doing so. Anger and blame are the way forward apparently.
Half the TD's in the Dail are school teachers and it's likely we will end up with one as the next Taoseach! This is the elephant in the room. George Lee naively tried to do something on his part, and was cut at the knee's.
The IMF will eventually be here and we wont know what hit us. The civil service unions can protest all the like then. But sadly all we do is the usual.. The blame game.

I agree on the part that any type of government would have led to the same problems we are facing now. The reason being that governments are inherently focused on interfering and intervening in the market. I don't know whether a national government is a solution, unless you first introduce new laws, at the highest level, i.e. constitution, that limit the powers of government and specifically prohibit economic interventions.

The IMF will eventually be here and we wont know what hit us. The civil service unions can protest all the like then. But sadly all we do is the usual.. The blame game.
I agree, especially after a news piece on RTE last night saying something like "it has been officially denied that the IMF will have to be called in". As the saying goes, do not believe anything until it has been officially denied.

I don't know how anyone could vote for FF after this mess but then I couldn't believe people voted for them in the last election after it came out Bertie had no bank account when he was minister for finance.
The government needs to cut spending. To do this they firstly need to cut their own salaries to reasonable levels. The civil service has never been cost effective. They need to get rid of guaranteed pensions, jobs for life, cut staff levels and cut salaries. I find it astounding the level of entitlement in this sector.
To cut social welfare payments they need to bring in rent control. Something like the French system where it’s set by zone and square foot as the mentality here is that the person renting from you should be paying your mortgage.

To cut social welfare payments they need to bring in rent control. Something like the French system where it’s set by zone and square foot as the mentality here is that the person renting from you should be paying your mortgage.

Price controls, including rent control, always fail in the long run. Because they result in a reduced profit opportunity you will see less investors. This results in less competition and ultimately in a shortage of adequate housing. And those that already own rental property will invest less in the upkeep of the property to reduce their costs and increase profits, resulting in lower standards of housing.
I've moved rented accommodation 3 times in the last 3 years, because every year I have been able to find a way better deal and quality of home. This is an inconvenience, but I'm happy with that. I'm now living in a 5 bedroom detached house in a lovely small estate, for lower rent than I paid in 2002 for a Cork City center 2 bedroom apartment. Rental costs are still going the same way as the housing market.

Price controls, including rent control, always fail in the long run. Because they result in a reduced profit opportunity you will see less investors.
Lack of price control in housing is what caused the current crisis. By keeping rental prices below mortgage rates it attracts long term investors with capital rather than investors without capital that cannot weather a downturn.

Lack of price control in housing is what caused the current crisis.
How do you figure this one out? What caused the crisis was government intervention and too much easy credit made available by central banks.

By keeping rental prices below mortgage rates it attracts long term investors with capital rather than investors without capital that cannot weather a downturn.
No, this is not correct. Keeping rental prices low will keep away all investors, especially long term investors who will seek higher profits elsewhere.

Lack of price control in housing is what caused the current crisis.

Rubbish. Governmental interference in the market, stimulating demand that wasn’t necessary or desirable, is what has caused the current crisis. The government should have acted to discourage house building over the last ten years by introducing a property tax but instead they stimulated it by cutting stamp duty (or removing it in many cases), providing tax incentives for investors and employing inept regulators to oversee the conduct of banks. That’s what caused the problem.

You don’t reduce cost by stimulating demand!

How do you figure this one out? What caused the crisis was government intervention and too much easy credit made available by central banks.

No, this is not correct. Keeping rental prices low will keep away all investors, especially long term investors who will seek higher profits elsewhere.

Easy credit was available in many other countries too it was our governments lack of action to control unsustainable house prices and actively encouraging them that compounded this.

Keeping rent prices below mortgage rates is not keeping them low. We have extremely inflated rent prices. I'm not saying that we need the Swedish system where there is little or no profit for investors there is a happy medium.

Easy credit was available in many other countries too it was our governments lack of action to control unsustainable house prices and actively encouraging them that compounded this.

And the UK, the US, Portugal, Spain, Bulgaria, Romania, Dubai etc... But no doubt many posters will want to blame the Irish Government for these countries' problems as well.

Back