ETF's via Pensions

Daithibocht

What is the cheapest way to invest in Exchange Traded Funds under a pension structure?

Can this be done directly or do you have to go through a broker?

Thanks in advance.

As I understand it, you have to go through a broker. The cheapest option I've come across is a Davy Execution-Only PRSA account - there's a 0.75% annual management charge on your account balance which covers dealing charges for Irish and UK listed financial instruments. After that you'll have the cost of whatever ongoing charges the ETF themselves charge, generally in the 0.1-0.4% range but the most recent annual cost will be included on the key information document of whatever you're buying. Also no harm to bear in mind the cost of foreign exchange costs when investing in non-euro instruments.

I'm new enough to this myself so I'm open to correction. I've setup one of these accounts this week and plan to buy the iShares S&P 500 Euro Hedged Accumulating ETF listed on the LSE, with 0.2% ongoing annual charges. So total cost should be ~0.95% of my annual investment balance.

Standard Life have about half a dozen Vanguard index-tracking funds available and the total annual charge can be under 0.5% and that's including both the Standard Life pension vehicle and the Vanguard fund charge. There are a number of charging structures available and this is the version with the lowest annual charge, available via any broker with an agency with Standard Life.

Back