ETF vs Financial Services Company

Money Mags

Hi,

Interested to see if anyone has done a comparison between DIY investing via online brokers such as TDDirect or Davy vs a Saving Investment product offered by the likes of Zurich or Irish Life.

I'm aware the problem faced as the financial services companies aren't fully transparent on the entire suite of charges.

However, for someone wanting to save perhaps €500 per month over the next 20 years I'd be interested to see the costs.

Many people on here seem to proclaim DIY investing via online broker much much cheaper.

However, from my initial research the online brokers seems to have fairly large list of charges! Taking just the trading charge €15-€20 per trade. The latter in itself equates to 4% on a €500 trade.

Then taking into account the book keeping required from year 8 onwards once your monthly installments start hitting their 8 year anniversary.

I just don't think the cost difference is as big as some make out it so be. But perhaps it is?

Degiro offers ETF trades at E2 + 0.02% of amount purchased, which is E2.10 per E500 trade or 0.42%.

You also don't pay 1% government levy that you do on life funds.

Back