Estate agent charges

el88s

I had a house for sale. Its an old house but it didnt sell.

I had 2 different estate agents at different times. Now they have sent me bills even though neither of them got a sale. Ive a bill from one of them for €700. I told him he needs to revisit this charge as its unreasonable as no sale.

His answer to me is that he's a professional and that you must pay a professional his expenses. I have no problem paying him his out of pocket expenses for advertising but hes talking petrol money etc.,(the house being 20-25 mins away from his office. The other agent is looking for almost €1,000 for house valuations (he did valuation on my own home and the other house), advertising etc.,

Im not trying to get anything for nothing but Im getting the feeling Im being ripped off as I still have a house to sell at the end of all this.

Any opinion or advise would be appreciated. Cheers

Would be good to know what the conditions agreed with the EA were.

Did you agree costs up front?
Sign any contract or Ts & Cs?
What did they do in terms of advertising, papers, online, paid sites?
Were professional photos taken?

I've had lots of EAs during the boom and costs varied then hugely so I always tended to agree a flat cost at the beginning of the transaction.

I didnt sign anything. They did the usual advertising and Ive no issue paying for that. Myhome.ie , daft and some newspaper adverts. I also did a lot of work myself,viewings and my own advertising.And yes they did take professional pics. the last one never took his sign down and then tried to charge me for removing it. he also is trying to charge me for something i already paid him for in cash

Last edited:
Apart from professional pictures and any additional advertising etc you may have agreed to you should have agreed everything else on a NO SALE NO FEE basis. What does their letter of acceptance say!

It's very very unusual for 2 estate agents to market your home without sending some form of T&C/Contract to you in writing........

It sounds strange that you had two agents doing advertising for your house but no agreement in writing!

The quotes I've been getting for advertising range from E400 to E680 - brochures, newspaper ads, signs outside etc.

Of course it's a no sale no fee basis but advertising is usually priced separately.

Back