Home Engagement Ring Claim

Valheru

Opened a new policy for house insurance and had an custom designed engagement ring valued for inclusion as a named item. (€7000) Subsequently lost the ring and was only offered a "replacement ring" or €6000. The replacement ring would be created by a third party and not by the original manufacturer. The original jeweller stands over their valuation but insurance company do not want to know.

Do I have any grounds to appeal this?

Depends on terms and conditions of insurance contract, is there a limit on cover of €6000?

to be fair, if you are going into a jewellers shop to buy a ring, you should get a decent discount on the tag price. Was your valuation simply a valuation or the actual price you paid for the ring? Most jewellers give valuations for the ring for insurance purposes for a higher figure than what you paid for it, to try to give the impression that you got a bargain.

Insurance is to put you in the same position post loss as you were in pre loss.

to be fair, if you are going into a jewellers shop to buy a ring, you should get a decent discount on the tag price. Was your valuation simply a valuation or the actual price you paid for the ring? Most jewellers give valuations for the ring for insurance purposes for a higher figure than what you paid for it, to try to give the impression that you got a bargain.

Insurance is to put you in the same position post loss as you were in pre loss.

I think your comment about jewellers and valuations is sweeping and very unfair.
If you make a comment like that can you back it up?
Unless there is a condition in the policy stating that you have to accept the insurers repairer you can just take the money and get your jeweller to make up the ring.
It may help if you can get a full description of the stone(s) in the original ring including the gradr and cut.
Also get some replacement valuations from other jewellers.

I just looked at my policy and it says that "we will not pay for any loss or damage to any item of jewellery insured in excess of X unless the settings of the stone(s) are examined by a bona fide jeweller at least every 24 monthes and any defect is remedied immediately".

So if I lost mine or it was stolen and it was not examined, I'd get nothing??
Every 24 months seems like a lot or is that standard? Due for renewal soon so may think of changing if anyone has any recommendations on other insurance policies.

I just looked at my policy and it says that "we will not pay for any loss or damage to any item of jewellery insured in excess of X unless the settings of the stone(s) are examined by a bona fide jeweller at least every 24 monthes and any defect is remedied immediately".

So if I lost mine or it was stolen and it was not examined, I'd get nothing??
Every 24 months seems like a lot or is that standard? Due for renewal soon so may think of changing if anyone has any recommendations on other insurance policies.

It is standard when you are insuring a particulary expensive piece of Jewellery.
If you move to another insurer you will probably find that they will have a similar condition on their policy.

ED:

neither myself nor any of my close friends paid the tag price for engagement rings. jeweller is quite happy to give discounts, leading to my view that it is factored into the tag price. teh valuation given at point of sale is for the tag price. Quite a few Unions and workplaces and banks have 'deals' with jewellers, where discounts are also given.

ED:

neither myself nor any of my close friends paid the tag price for engagement rings. jeweller is quite happy to give discounts, leading to my view that it is factored into the tag price. teh valuation given at point of sale is for the tag price. Quite a few Unions and workplaces and banks have 'deals' with jewellers, where discounts are also given.

I am not disputing that different companies and organisations have deals with jewellers where they get discounts.
It is your suggestion that jewellers are acting in a fraudulent manner that I have an issue with.

Opened a new policy for house insurance and had an custom designed engagement ring valued for inclusion as a named item. (€7000) Subsequently lost the ring and was only offered a "replacement ring" or €6000. The replacement ring would be created by a third party and not by the original manufacturer. The original jeweller stands over their valuation but insurance company do not want to know.

Do I have any grounds to appeal this?

Yes...you can ask your insurance company to sign off on this claim in order that you can refer the claim to the insurance ombudsman for a decision. The ombudsman's ruling will be binding upon the Insurance company,but not upon you.

I am not disputing that different companies and organisations have deals with jewellers where they get discounts.
It is your suggestion that jewellers are acting in a fraudulent manner that I have an issue with.

Aren't you being a little naive? It all depends on one's definition of "fraudulent behaviour". In my experience ALL jewellers offer an inflated written valuation to give the purchaser a little wriggle room with the insurance companies AND to make the purchaser feel they've got a bargain. Is that fraud? Or is it just knowing and playing the system?

Aren't you being a little naive? It all depends on one's definition of "fraudulent behaviour". In my experience ALL jewellers offer an inflated written valuation to give the purchaser a little wriggle room with the insurance companies AND to make the purchaser feel they've got a bargain. Is that fraud? Or is it just knowing and playing the system?

Well perhaps my experience is different then yours but when we have had jewellery valued it was based on the replacement cost.
I don't think that any jeweller would be doing anyone any favour by giving a valuation on the basis that it makes someone feel that they "got a bargain "

Well perhaps my experience is different then yours but when we have had jewellery valued it was based on the replacement cost.
I don't think that any jeweller would be doing anyone any favour by giving a valuation on the basis that it makes someone feel that they "got a bargain "

It is the norm for jewellers to give you a valuation based on what it would cost plus a small bit over, as the other person said 'to make you feel like you got a bargain.' I worked in the industry for years and that is normal. I also bought my wife's engagement ring off a very well known jeweller on Grafton Street for €4,500 cash, he have me a valuation for €5,500 in case I wouldn't be replacing it if stolen with cash. You will always get a minimum of 10% off the tag price for cash. Another example, my watch tag price in 1997 IRL£1,000, cash price £850 no problem. This is standard industry practice, nothing fraudulent just jewellers trying to make it seem like you are getting a bargain. The mark up on jewellery is usually 50%!

The mark up on jewellery is usually 50%![/QUOTE]

My wife lost both her engagement and wedding rings. We do have a photo of the engagement ring, though not great. Where is best to get one made, in light of the fact that the mark up is 50% or thereabouts. Thanks.
optimistic

The mark up on jewellery is usually 50%!

My wife lost both her engagement and wedding rings. We do have a photo of the engagement ring, though not great. Where is best to get one made, in light of the fact that the mark up is 50% or thereabouts. Thanks.
optimistic[/quote]

Think about going to Antwerp...google a place called Philippe Harold (or search AAM). No affiliation, just a satisfied punter.

Why do insurance companies then look for valuation certificates when taking out a policy? I'm paying extra for x many years when they have no intention of honouring the valuation that the insurance policy is based on. If I under-insure then they get me there as well.

The insurance company cannot replicate the original ring as they do not have the design specs. These are with the originating jeweller. Why should I accept some knock-off that the insurance company say is the same?

If I lost a Van Gogh, would they then ask someone to run up a copy and give me that instead!!

Why do insurance companies then look for valuation certificates when taking out a policy? I'm paying extra for x many years when they have no intention of honouring the valuation that the insurance policy is based on. If I under-insure then they get me there as well.

The insurance company cannot replicate the original ring as they do not have the design specs. These are with the originating jeweller. Why should I accept some knock-off that the insurance company say is the same?

If I lost a Van Gogh, would they then ask someone to run up a copy and give me that instead!!

Ask the original jeweller for the design specs and give to the insurance company jeweller...then you will have an identical ring back. Alternatively, talk to the insurance company jeweller, tell him exactly what the ring was like, give him photos etc and have him make the ring for you. This is not an insurmountable problem. Surely, all you want is the same ring as you had before and if so,it should not be relevant to you whether this costs €6k or €7k. FYI, the sum insured on an all risk item is not an automatic entitlement in the event of a total loss.

It is standard when you are insuring a particulary expensive piece of Jewellery.
If you move to another insurer you will probably find that they will have a similar condition on their policy.

it's a bit strange though ... surely if I lost the whole ring, the setting of the stone wouldn't make a difference!

6000 or 7000 be better spent on a home/car than some trinket on your finger

Back