Enduring Power of Attorney

Power of Attorney

Good question.. as a matter of interest, how does it legally differ form a Ward of Court, say for handling the affairs of someone with say, Alzheimer's

Power of Attorney

> how does it legally differ form a Ward of Court

These OASIS links might be of interest:

Power of attorney:

Wards of court:

I think that when they first came out, my firm started out by charging circa IR£100 plus V.A.T. for doing an enduring power of attorney - it really didn't pay at this level - there was a lot more work than expected.

These are still relatively uncommon (i.e. no real economies of scale), the paperwork is a bit of a drag and the solicitor is assuming a fairly high level of responsibility for getting it exactly right; so many solicitors are not particularly keen to do this work. For this reason, it's a bit like a builder pricing a job that he doesn't really want - it would not be unusual to be quoted a fairly stiff fee. I think the job probably merits a fee of €450 plus V.A.T., but it wouldn't be unusual to see a solicitor quote double this.

Of course, if it is the solicitors first enduring power of attorney he/she might quote €120/130 plus V.A.T. - a mistake they won't make twice.

Can a General Power of Attorney be set up quickly? My situation is I'll be out of the country when legal docs need to be signed so I was going to transfer
authority (for this transaction only) to a family member.

From reading the Oasis Links it seems to be straightforward.

Thanks MF.

Is it just a matter of :

"I CN624 grant power of attorney in all dealings regarding x transaction to <insert name>. etc etc. "

And get it witnessed as well?

Powers of Attorney Act 1996 - Third Schedule

But seriously, why not just ask the Solicitor to prepare do it for you? You need advice also about limiting the extent of the General Power - it can be counterproductive.

mf

Back