Encouraging traffic noise - but is it even an offence?

micmclo

I live on a busy road in Dublin. I mean extremely busy with four bus routes and traffic issues every morning.

In the evenings and throughout the weekend a guy on the road is fond of standing outside his house with multiple flags and GAA signs and waves at everyone. He doesn't actually say anything so he has done nothing wrong.

What happens is entirely predictable, very few seconds cars beep the horn. All good craic you say, Up the Dubs!!

However after a long day of shift work my patience with constant beeping is thin. Many cars don't beep once, they beep out little tunes. I can't describe them but you'd know them if you heard.

I'm not looking for advice of confronting or solving, mine is a legal question.

While what's happening is annoying I don't think the guy has done anything wrong here. He doesn't shout, he just waves flags and salutes drivers. Is encouraging cars to beep several hundred/ thousands of times a hour even an offence? I don't think it is.

I think that the only legal restriction is after 11.30 pm.

Maybe have a chat with the local Gardai who might ask him to restrict it as it could be a traffic hazard.

He is not probably guilty of an offence but he is encouraging others to breach the rules of the road... so as previous poster suggests, a local community Garda might be best to have a word to explain that to him.

The Rules of the Road are that you should only use a horn to:
- warn other road users of on-coming danger, or
- make them aware of your presence for safety reasons when reasonably
necessary.
- Do not use a horn in a built-up area between 23.30hrs and 07.00hrs unless there is a traffic emergency.

Back