Eligibility for supplementary pension at 60 if I retire from nursing at 58

Mary Friel

Hi looking for advice re my nurse pension. I have been employed by HSE from March 1998 and am on officers 1977 Class A scheme. I can retire from 55. I have been advised that I should qualify for supplementary pension but am not sure this is the case. If this is correct my query is if I retire next year at 58 will I be able to avail of the supplementary pension on reaching 60 despite not having worked in the intervening years and is there something about signing on for job seekers allowance for a period ? Any advice is appreciated as I am unable to get in touch with pensions

Mrs Boomer was in a somewhat similar position - Class A PRSI, Teachers pension scheme. She retired on pension at 56 and her pension includes the supplementary amount as standard. I'd imagine nurses arrangements are similar.

Reactions: POC
@Mary Friel in an effort to help out with this query I have sent you two private messages with no replies or acknowledgement received. I have also corrected the title.

Can you rephrase your question here now please.

Thanks,

Sue Ellen

Sue Ellen
Sorry for late reply due to my internet being off. Thanks for your attention
My question is as follows
I am currently employed 25 hours per week as a staff nurse with HSE and would like to take cost neutral early retirement next year at 58. I am an officer on Class A PRSI. I am with the HSE since March 1998. I will have 21.5 years service if I retire next year. I have been advised that this will give me an annual pension of €8,400. My question is would I be able to claim supplementary pension at 60 despite not having worked in the previous two years if so how much is it per week ? Also is supplementary pension means tested ?
Appreciate any advice

Back