Electrician Help Required

edadam

Some months ago I got an electrician to fit a couple of light bulbs and some electrical points in the attic. I got some guy recommended by another guy doing some work for me. Anyway all went fine but he said that the switch for the light in my hotpress was linked to the cables (that were already in place) in the attic. So I need to switch on the light in the hotpress when going up to the attic. That's no problem. However until this weekend I had not replaced a light bulb in my landing which blew several months ago. When I did I could not turn off the light - I have three switches for the same light and none of them switches off the light - always on. Now I could go back to the guy who did the work if I can find his number but was wondering if someone could tell me what might cause this ?

Most likely the looped light circuits are not wired up correctly so that the landing light is now not wired to any switch at all. It's probably a simple enough thing to fix using a bit of trial and error but unless you know this already and are comfortable doing electrical work you would be better off contacting a qualified electrician. It's pretty poor that your original electrician didn't make sure that all lights were on a separate switch loop and didn't arrange things so that the landing light was switchable and the attic lights on a separate switch though! :(

Fairly frightening. I would definately get a competent electrician to check it out, and more importantly the extra socket points that were put in, as with those standards he could have come off the lighting or immersion circuit.

Back