Effect of rent controls? Higher rents and reduced supply

Rents are rising due to undersupply of houses for rent so the main opposition party proposes the introduction of additional regulations to reduce the number of houses available to rent. The worst thing is no one in our economically illiterate media will call them out.
Do you expect the Lefties in the Public Service Sector Broadcaster to attack the Populist Leftie Party?

Rent Controls reduce supply in the rental sector.
Looked at in isolation I agree, but there are other issues.

If landlords had greater certainty that they could collect rent and evict non paying and or disruptive tenants that would tend to increase supply.
The biggest losers are those on moderately high incomes who had the misfortune to be born too late to buy property before the current boom.

Those on moderate incomes renting privately are certainly the losers here. However property prices were very cheap until 5/6 years ago. They are only now reaching replacement cost in most parts of the country.

Looked at in isolation I agree, but there are other issues.

If landlords had greater certainty that they could collect rent and evict non paying and or disruptive tenants that would tend to increase supply.
Tenants need certainty too. If you know your landlord can evict you whenever they want on the pretext of selling the property it's hard to think of it as home of care that much about the upkeep.
Those on moderate incomes renting privately are certainly the losers here.
Yes, same cohort are the losers when trying to buy.
However property prices were very cheap until 5/6 years ago.
Cheap is a relative term. Appropriately prices works just as well for me.
They are only now reaching replacement cost in most parts of the country.
Only because of the inbuilt inefficiencies in the entire sector. Planning takes too long, land is too expensive, financing is too expensive, Government charges are too high and builders are grossly inefficient. The replacement cost reflects all of that.

Tenants need certainty too. If you know your landlord can evict you whenever they want on the pretext of selling the property it's hard to think of it as home of care that much about the upkeep.

Yes, same cohort are the losers when trying to buy.

Cheap is a relative term. Appropriately prices works just as well for me.

Only because of the inbuilt inefficiencies in the entire sector. Planning takes too long, land is too expensive, financing is too expensive, Government charges are too high and builders are grossly inefficient. The replacement cost reflects all of that.
Yes tenants need certainty but so do landlords. All of the changes to recent legislation has favoured the tenant. it is now getting to a point that Landlords have no control over their property. Landlords signed up to provide a service under agreed conditions at the time. With the changing legislation landlords are not been treated fairly at all. It is almost impossible for a landlord to get his property back to sell it.

if you want certainty on both sides then be fair to both sides and agree terms for the medium to longterm that benefits both. The constant changes in legislation is one of the reasons the small landlords are selling up. its not the only reason but it is one of them.

Property prices were below costs in the past. However due to a lack of building demand has outstripped supply. Ironically we actually have an under utilised supply of properties that could have been brought into service when costs were lower.

Inbuilt inefficiencies are a fact of life in Ireland no matter what you look at. Our culture does not do efficient/responsibility. No politician wants to take the difficult decisions, everybody suggests we need more property but don't want them near where they live (NIMBY). Everybody wants to live close to where they grew up but don't want to pay the price of living there. Everybody wants highly insulated houses that are energy efficient. The one question nobody seems to want to answer is exactly who is going to pay for all of this. The govt is planning on introducing min BER ratings for rentals going forward. Expect a flood of private landlords leaving the market when this comes to pass. Why would a landlord spend on improving the property (in some situations to a better condition then their own principle private residence) if they can't increase the rent?

The market will never be fully efficient in Ireland for a number of reasons (a) we are too small to really get any economies of scale, (b) our work ethic is not to be efficient we are not German, (c) with the ongoing tinkering by the State in the market stakeholders will leave the market.

Every business has its challenges but being in the business as a small landlord is becoming less and less practical. The State wants the landlord to solve a problem the State is creating and expects no reaction from the market. Ironically enough its the tenants in the main who are suffering most and will continue to do so if the State continues on its current trajectory. Eventually the majority supplier of rental stock will be the institutional landlord. Economics shows that a small number of large suppliers can control the market and thats exactly where the market is going.

As has been highlighted on this forum on numerous occasions before of "be careful of what you wish for".

The view from NZ on our Government induced rental crisis -
https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/property/129646516/heres-what-we-can-learn-from-irelands-rental-market-collapseWill any Irish politician admit that rent controls have created this crisis?

The view from NZ on our Government induced rental crisis -
https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/property/129646516/heres-what-we-can-learn-from-irelands-rental-market-collapseWill any Irish politician admit that rent controls have created this crisis?

The crisis existed before rent controls. So it's impossible for them to have created it.

They certainly are yet another straw on the camels back though. But that's because of the peculiar way they were implemented in Ireland. Which penalized existing LLs with low rents and had no effect on new rentals entering the market which are free to set high rents. It's like they were designed (in Ireland) to push rents as high as possible and push cheaper rentals out of the market.

The crisis existed before rent controls. So it's impossible for them to have created it.
It has got exponentially worse since they were introduced in 2016. Also there is the opportunity cost of substituting an always-doomed-to-fail rent controls policy for proper remedial action (eg incentivisation of residential building/restoration/investment) that should have been taken back then.

Last edited:
They also changed the tenancy length in 2016, and we've had a net population increase since 2015.
They also made more changes in 2019 https://www.rtb.ie/legislation-change

It make no sense to cheery pick rental controls as the cause or even the main factor. They certainly made it worse.

They also changed the tenancy length in 2016, and we've had a net population increase since 2015.
They also made more changes in 2019 https://www.rtb.ie/legislation-change

It make no sense to cheery pick rental controls as the cause or even the main factor. They certainly made it worse.
I agree with you on that. It was the 2009 government actions (not only backed but demanded by the then opposition parties) to constructively ban new residential property development, building and investment that created it. The problem since then is that the political cartel have doubled down on their error instead of admitting it.

It was the 2009 government actions (not only backed but demanded by the then opposition parties) to constructively ban new residential property development
Residential construction activity was pointless in 2009-2013(ish) as it was cheaper to buy an existing home then build a new one. House prices needed to rise in order to stimulate any activity at all at all.

After the last crash I know why a lot of people think high house prices are a bad thing. But you can have low house prices or lots of new dwellings built, but not both.

Residential construction activity was pointless in 2009-2013(ish) as it was cheaper to buy an existing home then build a new one. House prices needed to rise in order to stimulate any activity at all at all.
Yes, and they rose alright only for the 2009 measures to block any recovery in activity.

After the last crash I know why a lot of people think high house prices are a bad thing. But you can have low house prices or lots of new dwellings built, but not both.
Nail on head.

and we've had a net population increase since 2015.
The population has increased by 361,671 since 2016. Our average household size is 2.75 persons. That means we needed 131,517 new units to homes, just under 22,000 a year, just to stand still.

The reduction in the average household size in another key driver. That alone has swallowed up 40% of all the housing units we've built in the last 30 years.

Those demographic changes are the main driver in our housing shortage.

Last edited:
On 1 August 2016, before the introduction of rent controls, there were 3,600 properties nationwide advertised to rent on daft.ie.

On 1 August 2022 there were only 716 properties nationwide advertised to rent on daft.ie.

So, I think it’s fair to say that we have moved from a challenging, supply-constrained, rental market in 2016 to a full blown crisis in 2022.

I think it’s obvious that there has been a net reduction in available rental properties over the intervening period at a time of increased demand. In my opinion, the primary reason for this net reduction was the introduction of rent controls.

So, I think it’s entirely reasonable to say that the current crisis in the rental market is Government-induced.

After the last crash I know why a lot of people think high house prices are a bad thing.
Because it draws capital away from the wealth creating sectors of the economy and devalues labour relative to capital.

But you can have low house prices or lots of new dwellings built, but not both
You can if you can built dwellings cheaply. The problem is that almost every sector that has an input into producing residential property is grossly inefficient. When prices are high there is no incentive to improve productivity and reduce waste. Given that construction accounts for 17% of global GDP that makes the everything less efficient and so makes everyone poorer in the medium to long term.

Having said all of the above I'm not a fan of rent controls. I'm not a fan of HAPS either and I'm certainly not a fan of the State buying existing private houses and turning them into social housing, thus further reducing the available housing stock for first time buyers and renters.

State interference in the market, any market, rarely works out as planned.

Reactions: jpd
On 1 August 2016, before the introduction of rent controls, there were 3,600 properties nationwide advertised to rent on daft.ie.

On 1 August 2022 there were only 716 properties nationwide advertised to rent on daft.ie.

So, I think it’s fair to say that we have moved from a challenging, supply-constrained, rental market in 2016 to a full blown crisis in 2022.

I think it’s obvious that there has been a net reduction in available rental properties over the intervening period at a time of increased demand. In my opinion, the primary reason for this net reduction was the introduction of rent controls.

So, I think it’s entirely reasonable to say that the current crisis in the rental market is Government-induced.
See my previous post. It's not unreasonable to say that those demographic changes are the main driver rather than rent controls.

See my previous post. It's not unreasonable to say that those demographic changes are the main driver rather than rent controls.
I disagree.

Obviously a growing population increases demand for rental properties but rent controls disrupt the supply side response.

We also had a growing population during the tiger years but we didn’t have an associated rental market crisis.

We also had a growing population during the tiger years but we didn’t have an associated rental market crisis.
We did for a few years from 1999 until 2001. Rents went through the roof and there was an exodus of Dublin renters to buy places in Gorey, Portlaoise and the like. This was after the government screwed new landlords by blocking them from claiming a tax deduction for mortgage interest, but Charlie McCreevy defused that particular timebomb at the end of 2001. I remember him being loudly denounced on these pages for doing so.

Back