Economic costs of eating meat

arbitron

The BBC has a striking report on a new research paper from Nature Food:

Eating less meat 'like taking 8m cars off road'

_130415497_dietco2-nc.png.webp

High meat is more than 100g/3.5oz per day, i.e. about 4 sausages or a small chicken breast. That's only a starter size for a lot of Irish people!

The gist of the story is that we don't need to give up meat but we can make huge improvements by just reducing our intake.

I have several economic concerns about the amount of meat we consume.

On the environmental level, meat production produces huge amounts of greenhouse gases and uses vast quantities of water. This will cost taxpayers in the long run when we inevitably pay the price of an overheating planet, ecological wastelands, droughts, etc.

There are also serious human health effects from high meat diets, including: heart disease, stroke, cancer, obesity. These chronic conditions cost economies directly, in providing medical care, and indirectly, in lost productivity (e.g. early retirement, disability benefit, sick days).

Finally, there is the hugely inefficient use of land:

_130415498_dietland-nc.png.webp

We should be minimising the use of land for agriculture so that we have more space for woodlands, recreation, public spaces, housing, etc.

I grew up on a farm and we reared animals for meat, so I have an appreciation for the hard work and dedication of farmers, but I cannot see how we can justify our economic support of beef and dairy long term.

Before the inevitable rants about "the nanny state", I don't hear anyone saying we should ban meat or get rid of all beef farming, but surely it's reasonable for the government to use its powers to defend the public purse by encouraging lower meat consumption?

I'm going to continue eating meat and woe be to he who tries to prevent me!

I'll join the green brigade when Russia and China get their "green" act together (. . . and that won't happen in anybody's lifetime here) and when cloth nappies are back in general use again in Ireland (and that won't happen in the lifetime of two generations forward).

Last edited:

I'll join the green brigade when Russia and China get their "green" act together (. . . and that won't happen in anybody's lifetime here) and when cloth nappies are back in general use again in Ireland (and that won't happen in the lifetime of two generations forward).
If you don't think it is the right thing to do why should you do it.

If it is the right thing to do, why do you need to wait for someone else to do it first.

Sure it's only your children and grandchildren that will suffer the consequences so crack on...
I'll join the green brigade when Russia and China get their "green" act together (. . . and that won't happen in anybody's lifetime here)
You mean when China stops making the stuff we consume?
If we stop consuming it they'll stop making it.
Russia emits lots of greenhouse gases because they produce things like aluminium and other heavy industrial products that we consume. We import over 2 billion Kilowatt hours of electricity each year which is generated in other countries. Our behaviour as part of the rich world is a large part of the reason that emissions are generated in other countries.
and when cloth nappies are back in general use again in Ireland (and that won't happen in the lifetime of two generations forward).
Why the nappies?

There's no argument that meat farming is a very large part of the climate change problem. It takes an area 7 times the size of the EU to produce the meat which is consumed in the EU. It is a grossly inefficient way of delivering calories (around 90% of arable land is used for meat production but it only delivers around 10% of global calories), though it is a good way of delivering protein and micronutrients.

Last edited:
What percentage of global emissions does Irish agriculture account for ?
Miniscule. And the stats above probably aren't directly applicable to Irish meat.

However, the use of land in Ireland for meat, particularly sheep farming have devastated Irish biodiversity.

How it is versus how it should be.

And 100% of Irish biodiversity loss is accounted for by Ireland, and better yet 100% of the benefits of rewinding would be in Ireland.

Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 12.43.43.png

When I drive across the Dublin and Wicklow mountains it's an ecological wasteland. It's appalling and tragic and shows what a complete lie it is that Framers are some sort of custodians of the natural world.

I think they are quite gorgeous, the Dublin and Wicklow mountains.

This is Lough Derryclare in Galway. Island, no sheep, trees. Hills, sheep, no trees. The contrast could not be more stark.

It is not mainly the tall mature trees that support the biodiversity, the undergrowth is vital.

Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 13.16.22.png

"I'll get my act together eco-wise when others get their act together" is the default excuse these days.

10 years ago, it was the science is dubious or something.

The truth is that collectively we are not doing enough.

The "woe be he" attitude is a bit sad to be honest.
I left school in 1990 and the science was settled even then. It requires the application of superhuman levels of wilful ignorance for any person of even a moderate level of intelligence to reject the fact that human activity is changing the climate in a way that makes the areas of the planet which are currently suitable for human habitation less suitable for human habitation.

The only debate is what the best actions are that we should take to reduce our impact on the world we live in. Reducing our consumption of meant by 50% would do more than everyone moving to EV's and massively reducing how many flights we take.
Given the available options that reduction in mean consumption is a relatively painless action that will have a profound impact. The problem with many in the Green Lobby is that they are so tied up in social justice issues and left wing politics that they are more interested in virtue signalling than results.

My proposal to tackle climate change:
  • Reduce meat consumption in the developed world by 50%
  • Use the land freed up to plant trees
  • Build as many Nuclear Power Station as possible while investing in safer clean Nuclear technology. Then we can move to EV's.
  • Spend as much as possible moving people away from cooking on open fires in the developing world, particularly in cities.
I reckon that will get us most of the way there.

It's also worth noting that our Co2 emissions per capita are around the same as those of China and 50% higher than France.

As little as 50 years ago we (I can only speak for Ireland but probably in most countries) ate a lot less meat. Now the mere suggestion of reducing your meat intake has people up in arms in outrage.

People think that, until they realise what total ecological disaster zones they are.

They should be covered in natural forest. Because sheep eat any sapling, the forest has disappeared, together with much of the wildlife the forests would support.

I thought the deforestation was done hundreds of years ago for ship building by our next door neighbours.

As little as 50 years ago we (I can only speak for Ireland but probably in most countries) ate a lot less meat. Now the mere suggestion of reducing your meat intake has people up in arms in outrage.

Irish people are much richer now than they were in the past. Even poor people can access meat to some degree.

Are there different degrees of damage done by eating different meats?

Sheep seem to be bad environmental offenders.
I assume cattle and cows are the next worst.
What about broilers and pigs?

And what about hunted meat as opposed to farmed meat?
For example there is often talk about deer culls.
Seems a shame not to eat the deer if you shoot them.

Back