'e' mark on tyres - money back?

Brik

I know there have been a few posts/threads on this, but I have yet to come across anyone that has got their money back or tyres changes for not having an e mark.

My wife's car got two new tyres 3 weeks ago and one does not have an e mark and my car got 4 last summer and two do not have an e mark. Believe it or not, they are all the same tyres (make etc) but some had an e mark and others didn't.

I want to go to the garage to demand they change them but need some back up. The RSA state that as of 2007 (s.i. 375) it is illegal to fit non-e marked tyres, but I cannot find that statement anywhere else to back me up when I go to the garage.

Has anyone been successful in getting the tyres changed?

Thanks,
Brik

Check both walls of the tyres I had a look at mine and the spare which is a different make has the 'e' mark on only one side.

Check both walls of the tyres I had a look at mine and the spare which is a different make has the 'e' mark on only one side.

Sorry if I misinterpreted what you said Towger, but are you saying this E mark might only be on one side of the tyre? In order to see this missing mark you need to take your wheel off?

If this the case I reckon the NCT crowd will say all tyres have to have the E mark in a visible place I imagine?

I just traded in a car it had 3 tyres with the E Mark, one without. The one without was the same as the other 3 but no E Mark.

Tyres need to be put on a specific way to do with rotation direction??

Bob

If i remember correctly an earlier post somewhere said that these regulations were in the EU since 1997. Which is this is the case means most cars should have these tyres

Absolutely! But the garages are still putting on tyres without the mark, so I am hoping that someone out can advise me on how to approach the garage to get them swapped over. one of the tyres without an e mark was bought only a few weeks ago, so surely they should not have fitted it to the car!

No as I am not at home, but I will look when I get back.

However, the spare tyre (a Pirelli something or other) which is the same as one of the rear tyres does not have an e on it on either side as I had it out to pump it up a few days ago.

Did you rule out the mark being on the other side of the tyre?

You see, I think that is going to be useless. IF the E Mark is on the INSIDE of the tyre ( on the side facing in toward the wheel housing area ) then its not visible to the NCT crowd either. They certainly will not take the wheel off to look.

A seat belt buried in the back seats will result in a fail. Not having your hub caps taken off will fail?

Most tyres are tubeless and go on one way?? So taking them off and "turning them around" isnt possible?? Also the steel wheel itself OR alloy are not double sided, they go on one way??

Bob

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Vehicles-and-Legislation/Vehicle-Standards/E-mark-on-tyres/

Can I check for an e-mark when I am replacing my tyres

We recommend that purchasers check new tyres for a visible e-mark. Your seller / fitter should be able to show you the e-mark. Vehicle owners should be aware that it is illegal to purchase non E-marked tyres for use on Irish roads.

What should I do if I have recently purchased tyres which are not e-marked

If you have recently had tyres fitted to your vehicle which do not have an e-mark you should return to the place of purchase and request that they be replaced with the appropriate e-marked tyres for your vehicle. It is illegal to fit non-e-marked tyres.

The Irish Tyre Industry Association (ITIA) is advising that any motorist who has purchased a non e-marked tyre from one of their members should go back to the vendor with proof of purchase.

When returning non e-marked tyres the National Consumer Agency advise that you consult the information provided on their website on the Sale of Goods Acts 1893 and 1980

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Our-booklets/NCA-Sale-of-goods.pdf

Bob

You see, I think that is going to be useless. IF the E Mark is on the INSIDE of the tyre ( on the side facing in toward the wheel housing area ) then its not visible to the NCT crowd either. They certainly will not take the wheel off to look.

A seat belt buried in the back seats will result in a fail. Not having your hub caps taken off will fail?

Most tyres are tubeless and go on one way?? So taking them off and "turning them around" isnt possible?? Also the steel wheel itself OR alloy are not double sided, they go on one way??

Bob

When they are checking under the car they would be able to see the other side

Even if they could though why would they bother?

As mentioned, it's a fail if you don't remove your hubcaps or even if the underside isn't clean. Whatever they stipulate, you do.

Very few NCT mechanics will do you any favours - if the E mark is supposed to be on the outside and it's not, I doubt they will go looking for it.

When they are checking under the car they would be able to see the other side

Hi Foxylady,

In a normal helpful environment one might get this done. BUT where the NCT crowd are concerned this E mark would have to be CLEARLY visible, nothing more nor less I reckon.

[broken link removed]

Check further down under TYRES:

"A vehicle will fail if an "E" or "e" mark IS NOT VISIBLE"

With these guys their is no GREY, if it isnt marked on the visible side of the tyre it will fail ...

My two Cents
Bob

Well, therefore, given the fact that there is no e mark on the outside wall of the tyres in question, I will demand that the garage changes them. I have the proof of purchase etc so whether it is under my consumer rights or the fact that it is supposedly illegal to fit tyres without the e, I will try to get them swapped.

Thanks for the input and I will keep you posted on my progress!

Hi Foxylady,

In a normal helpful environment one might get this done. BUT where the NCT crowd are concerned this E mark would have to be CLEARLY visible, nothing more nor less I reckon.

[broken link removed]

Check further down under TYRES:

"A vehicle will fail if an "E" or "e" mark IS NOT VISIBLE"

With these guys their is no GREY, if it isnt marked on the visible side of the tyre it will fail ...

My two Cents
Bob

In a normal environment these tyres would not still be incirculation if they were supposed to be on all cars since 1997 ;)

In a normal environment these tyres would not still be in circulation if they were supposed to be on all cars since 1997 ;)

FL,

You are spot on. I was only being official sounding as that is what one would get from the likes of the NCT crowd.

I find it interesting that non E Marked tyres are still in circulation seeming it is illegal AND that it has not been picked up. Again this is more of this Gov rubbish. Set down a law and then do not police it properly. Making laws is one thing but if they are not policed, it is totally pointless. Again I am being officious .. and that is usually not my nature, just "method acting" with this kind of mindset :D

Bob

Any update on this, I have just purchased 4 new pirelli P6000 's and I can only find 1 tyre that has the E mark, i think E3 to be precise. Surely a top brand like Pirelli
would have this marking and it was a well known Irish tyre fitter installed them.

Back