Dunnes stores help hard pressed consumers avoid the "Plastic Bag Tax"

Binomial

Dunnes Stores help hard pressed consumers avoid the "Plastic Bag Tax".

Yes, Dunnes Stores now place packs of 20 plastic "kileen brand" shopping bags for only 99c at their check out and you don't have to pay the plastic bag levy on them!

I thought the plastic bag tax was a good idea.
I can't remember the last time I bought a plastic bag, here or on holiday. That's got to be good for the environment. A shame that people will try to circumvent it.

Well we've seen what the golden circle have done to this country so anything that helps the lower paid or unemployed...I have to welcome.

i saw them at the counter in dunnes yesterday and it did make me think what they were doing there - makes sense i suppose but most people bring their "bags for life" with them instead anyway!

Why are these exempt from the plastic bag levy anyway?
Shouldn't the levy be charged at 20 x levy amount? (For twenty plastic bags)

[broken link removed]

The bag issue in Dunnes might not be solved till they conclude tax case on link

Dunnes Stores help hard pressed consumers avoid the "Plastic Bag Tax".
!

Hard pressed consumers they may be - but some shoppers are so lazy that they leave their shopping bags in the boot of the car and they end up buying more ''bags for life'' , neary every time they go shopping .

Hard pressed consumers they may be - but some shoppers are so lazy that they leave their shopping bags in the boot of the car and they end up buying more ''bags for life'' , neary every time they go shopping .

On the rare occasion, i have been that soldier..

Me too! I now have 12 'bags for life' stuffed behind the fridge freezer. Is this a record!?

Probably to stop people abusing till staff about the fact that the bags for life doubled to 70cent.

Why are these exempt from the plastic bag levy anyway?
Shouldn't the levy be charged at 20 x levy amount? (For twenty plastic bags)

Presumably you purchase the pack of 20 bags for 99c along with your groceries. You then use the bags you've paid for to pack your groceries in. I suppose not much different to buying a pack of bin liners as you go around the supermarket then using them.

I use the fold-able crates. They are very handy for storage around the house as well.

€5 in Dunnes and €3 in Tescos.

Presumably you purchase the pack of 20 bags for 99c along with your groceries. You then use the bags you've paid for to pack your groceries in. I suppose not much different to buying a pack of bin liners as you go around the supermarket then using them.
I can understand the idea, but I still can't see how this circumvents the levy.
I thought the levy was on plastic bags, regardless how they are purchased. The levy isn't on bin liners, just plastic carrier bags.

Are these bags actually just bin liners? - or are they a pack of ten 'real' carrier bags?

What Ive seen in Dunnes is a crate of Killeen small binliners with handles on display in the front of all the checkouts.

I assume you buy a pack, crack it open and then bag your groceries. You pay 99c for the pack of 20 bin liners/ bags. You dont pay the levy and you go home with the 15 or so excess bags.

Just logged onto tesco.ie and they are advertised as Swing Bin Liners (very small swing bins at that)

Back