Dundrum Town Centre - car vandalised

Moneypit

:mad: Our car was vandalised in the Dundrum Town Centre carpark, early on Saturday morning, someone scraped the two doors on the driver's side with a sharp implement like a knife or blade. We were well peed off naturally, I rang them this morning to notify them of the incident and they're looking into it, talking about looking back over CCTV footage etc. Just wondering if we have any comeback from Parkrite who operate the carpark or is it, as I suspect, just tough luck?

I dont know what the situation is but I would be interested in finding out too.
Attending a meeting as usual in a local sports complex, the windscreen of the car next to mine was shattered when a yobo jumped up on the bonnet and smashed the heel of his boot into it. I haven't heard the outcome of whether there's any responsibility of the sports complex for the safety of vehicles parked in their carpark, especially when the owners are using the sports complex. I am hesitant about parking there in future.

I parked my car in Dublin Airport before Christmas, and it got damaged in an attempt to steal it. I did notice lots of "you park here at your own risk" notices around, and I suspect it's the same in all major car parks.

My insurance paid for car repairs and car rental, but I wrote to Bill (Penny Apples) Cullen stating that while I accepted the risk of parking, the least they could do was give me my parking fee back. I got a nice letter and a cheque about 4 weeks later.

If I was you I'd write and state that even if they're not liable, then they could at least make a contribution towards repair as a gesture of goodwill.

As always, enough letters might effect a change.

Imperator

I would not accept that just because there is a sign up saying that the management does not accept any responsibility for any damage caused that they are in no way rsponsivble.

You paid your money to park your car in a safe and secure place. If the place was not secure then I would consult your solicitor and see whether he considers that you have a case or not.

Murt

Depends on the nature of the (implied?) contract between the driver/parker and the car park owners as to whether or not such disclaimers are legally valid or attempt to erode any statutory or contractual rights I would guess?

Imperator said:
My insurance paid for car repairs and car rental, but I wrote to Bill (Penny Apples) Cullen stating that while I accepted the risk of parking, the least they could do was give me my parking fee back.

What has Bill got to do with Dublin Airport?

My apologies for the delay in replying. Bill Cullen is a member of the Board of Directors of the new(ish) Dublin Airport Authority. I wrote to him as his was the only name I recognised.

Lads,

Get a grip. These car-park people are professionals. Do you think for one moment that they will accept responsibility for your property when you park your car? Not on your nellie, and why should they, come to think of it. If you want that kind of security, I suspect you will be asked to pay much more than 2e per hour. It is supervised, that's all.

I parked my car in Dublin Airport before Christmas, and it got damaged in an attempt to steal it.

It's probably cheaper to just buy a car than to steal one from Dublin Airport and pay the parking fee.

Depends on the car I suppose! As far as I understand, If you want to steal a car there, you can drive some piece of crap through the barrier and get a ticket. Pay only a few minutes / minimum charge for the parking fee, and leave having stolen the car of your choice. (obviously the piece of crap would have been stolen as well)

The police and mechanic figured the attempt on my car was a "steal to order" as why anybody would go to the trouble of robbing a 12 yr old BMW with 160,000 miles is beyond me. Somebody was looking for a major engine component I guess.

They did say that the more modern cars are being left alone nowadays, as long as nothing is left to view in the car itself. If you lose your keys to a new BMW/Merc etc. it takes even qualified autoelectricians hours or days to get into the car and get it started.

If it was expected that car parks would cover any damage that happened to cars left in there premises the insurance costs would be huge and I imagine it would just end up being passed to the consumer. The car parks can only be held liable if they fail to fulfill there part of the contract ....or if they are at fault and as a result your car was damaged/stolen.

Back