Dublin Floods Sat 9 Aug - is your house affected?

The flooding in Dublin was not nearly as destructive as the flooding in Newcastle West in County Limerick, or Mallow in County Cork.

Are you suggesting that the flooding may have been due in part (or full?) to overdevelopment or something?.

I'd be angry too if my house was flooded. But I wouldn't necessarily be looking to blame it on anybody else.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying, but I took the above to mean that you were (implicitely) disagreeing with the suggestion of the OP that overdevelopment had a part in the flooding.

If that's not what you are saying, maybe you could clarify? Maybe you agree with him?

My point was that the major contributory factor was most likely simply the extremely heavy rain that we had (c. one month's worth in a 24 hour period if I'm not mistaken) and not other factors such as "over" development etc. That view seems to be supported by coverage of recent events elsewhere.

If any one is affected by flood damage dont contact your insurance company contact an assessor - With the estimate of 100m in claims the insurance companies will not doubt be trying to minimise paying out where they can.

I am an assessor and certainly from what I have seen over the past week insurers are are being very tight and in the case of one appartment block have turned down all the claims on the grounds of "structural defect"
If you are looking after a claim yourself and not using the services of an assessor take loads of photos and find as many original invoices as possible.
And most importantly do not accept the insurers first settlement offer.

Ed

Back