Dublin City Council (DCC) and Traffic Lights

MoodyToo

I was convinced that the timing had changed on a set of lights that I go through on the way to work and that it was causing unnecessary congestion far earlier in the morning than it should. It was adding 15 minutes to my journey.
So I complained to my co-workers...for weeks...shame on me. One of my colleagues asked me why not complain to Dublin City Council instead of into my coffee every morning. I genuinely thought it would be a waste of time.
So I rang the DCC camera room on free phone number 1800 293949. They knew the lights well and told me I could request that an engineer check the lights and I could ring back to get an engineers report. I requested this on Friday (15th) and they said it would be late Monday before an engineer could get to the lights. This morning (Tues 19th) the timing on the lights has been changed, no congestion anywhere near the lights for any approach road as I went through this morning.
Now here’s the thing, thousands of cars were getting delayed there every morning for weeks; can I really be the only one who complained? Did all the drivers think it would be a waste of time complaining to DCC? As it turned out they couldn't have been more professional so shame on me for doing nothing until dared too.
MoodyToo.

Interesting story that, i reckon there is a certain apathy amongst the Irish that 'there's no point complaining since nothing will be done'. Good to note that things have improved in this case.

A set of pedestrian lights near me were out for a few days recently. I emailed Dun Laoghaire Rathdown roads dept on the Friday evening, and the lights were working by Monday evening.

Now here’s the thing, thousands of cars were getting delayed there every morning for weeks; can I really be the only one who complained? Did all the drivers think it would be a waste of time complaining to DCC? As it turned out they couldn't have been more professional so shame on me for doing nothing until dared too.
MoodyToo.

Funny, I did the same recently. In this case the junction was pretty quiet but it had a ridiculously unbalanced timing (1 min in one direction followed by 5 or 6 seconds in the slightly busier direction).

Like you I couldn't believe nobody else had tried, but it changed within days to something more reasonable.

And ditto as regards the professionalism of the traffic supervisor I spoke with from DCC.

Back