Dublin City Centre - Car Restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A pretty simple solution would be for every city centre retailer whose sales revenue has fallen after the new arrangements are implemented to stop paying their business rates (assuming that they can still afford to), while those businesses whose revenue hasn't fallen would continue to pay. Dublin City Council would publish the results of this experiment after 12 months, and the discussion could continue.

It's hard to see how any moderately intelligent Councillor (or better) could argue with such a reasonable approach!
That would set a ridiculous precedent. Every time someone sneezes a business would then try to stop paying their rates.

That would set a ridiculous precedent. Every time someone sneezes a business would then try to stop paying their rates.

Correct.

But as you will be aware, thousands of social housing tenants aren't paying their reduced rent to the Council and life goes on much as before. So if council tenants can get away with it, then why shouldn't businesses?

A pretty simple solution would be for every city centre retailer whose sales revenue has fallen after the new arrangements are implemented to stop paying their business rates (assuming that they can still afford to), while those businesses whose revenue hasn't fallen would continue to pay. Dublin City Council would publish the results of this experiment after 12 months, and the discussion could continue.

It's hard to see how any moderately intelligent Councillor (or better) could argue with such a reasonable approach!
Would they need to demonstrate that it was because of the new arrangements, as opposed to coincidental? I would suggest that they would have to get an independent report to demonstrate causality, prevent abuse, and I'll be happy to provide that service for a reasonable cost. I'm open to getting public transport or driving in and parking at one of the many car parks that will still be mysteriously operating.

How are they being prohibited?? I think you're making things up now.
The whole narrative here is to stop cars coming into the city centre. So woke environmentalists with no money can walk and cycle around staring at the clouds whilst city centre retailers collapse.

PS If we had a full Metro, I would support a congestion charge and other measures.

The whole narrative here is to stop cars coming into the city centre. So woke environmentalists with no money can walk and cycle around staring at the clouds whilst city centre retailers collapse.

PS If we had a full Metro, I would support a congestion charge and other measures.
No it isn't, that's the bit you're making up. I haven't yet seen a single person in any kind of position of authority calling for a complete ban on cars from the entire city centre.

Calling people names suck as woke environmentalists is the tactics of the playground. If you can't make a point without resorting to insults then perhaps it's time to take your argument elsewhere.

I can't believe those bloody environmentalists want to visit a nice place! We can never let the city be a nice place. Not on my watch.

No it isn't, that's the bit you're making up. I haven't yet seen a single person in any kind of position of authority calling for a complete ban on cars from the entire city centre.

Calling people names suck as woke environmentalists is the tactics of the playground. If you can't make a point without resorting to insults then perhaps it's time to take your argument elsewhere.

References to ‘complete bans’ from the ‘entire city centre’ are overly pedantic.

There are no playground tactics…this is a woke agenda supported by very few people other than the Greens who will be wiped out at the next general election.

A survey is done where woke environmentalists lash in submissions and then the Irish Times claims everyone supports this. They don’t.

PS ‘woke environmentalist’ is hardly an insult!

I can't believe those bloody environmentalists want to visit a nice place! We can never let the city be a nice place. Not on my watch.

Both can be achieved. Car drivers are not the enemy. The NTA and Irish Times journalists are not representative of society as a whole.

References to ‘complete bans’ from the ‘entire city centre’ are overly pedantic.

There are no playground tactics…this is a woke agenda supported by very few people other than the Greens who will be wiped out at the next general election.

A survey is done where woke environmentalists lash in submissions and then the Irish Times claims everyone supports this. They don’t.

Define 'woke' Gordon. It's an abused term with mainly negative connotations so if it is not being used negatively by you can you please provide your definition of the word.
The proposal here is not to stop cars coming into the city centre. It is to stop cars travelling through the city centre to get from one side of the city to the other. That sounds perfectly laudable as an ambition to me. None of the points made against it are valid arguments when you frame them against the actual proposal here.

Define 'woke' Gordon. It's an abused term with mainly negative connotations so if it is not being used negatively by you can you please provide your definition of the word.
The proposal here is not to stop cars coming into the city centre. It is to stop cars travelling through the city centre to get from one side of the city to the other. That sounds perfectly laudable as an ambition to me. None of the points made against it are valid arguments when you frame them against the actual proposal here.
God forbid someone wants to get to the other side of the city! A Northsider shopping on the Southside. The horror.

Good luck getting into the city if you can't use the quays.

Maybe it would help if the alternative routes for cars are laid out properly and sign posted, instead of being sent through a maze. There might be a reason why cars are going through the city centre and it is not just about lack of public transport options.

What's being talked about here by Ryan should be last resort.

I knew it! It's all about the 'woke'! Amazing how deep the conspiracy runs.

The other day Gordon was talking about the woke in terms of pronouns in the workplace. It's clearly a very wide and deep conspiracy to overthrow traditional values and introduce state control of the economy.

You're unbelievable! Did the Irish Times say that everybody supports this?

Ther
So you've no problem with TDs and Senators having free parking for life in the middle of Dublin 2?
There’s a few hundred of them, there are around 40,000 parking spaces for State employees in Dublin City centre.
And yes, I’ve no problem with current TD’s and Senators having free parking spaces.

City and town centres are changing. They are becoming more places of leisure than places of retail. Car restrictions or lack of them won’t change that.
+1

This brings to mind a mini-controversy a number of years back in Wexford town where some or other local lobby group were claiming there were too many coffee shops in the town centre relative to shops, even though being an attractive and picturesque town, it was obviously a leisure destination as much as a shopping destination.

God forbid someone wants to get to the other side of the city! A Northsider shopping on the Southside. The horror.
Nobody is saying they can't do this still, just not directly through the city center! God forbid someone having to drive around rather than through the middle, the horror.

City and town centres are changing. They are becoming more places of leisure than places of retail. Car restrictions or lack of them won’t change that.
Agree with this but I think a lot of people would agree that having less (or no) cars to contend with would make places of leisure more pleasant experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back