Dual Carriage Ways

legend99

I notice the new method of road expansion from 2 to 3 lanes in Ireland seems to be to just get rid of the yellow lines in the hard shoulder, paint a white line and then claim you have a 3 lane road. Even better is the definite shrinking of lane width sizes to fit extra lanes.
Does anyone else think this is a lethal time bomb?

Second, why oh why do they continue to build bridges as part of of grade seperated junctions that are just the width of 2 lanes? Why not build them the width of 3 lanes and use one as a hard shoulder? I could at least accept the removal of a hard shoulder on a stretch of bridge for maybe 100 yards to expand the bridge to 3 lanes.
Instead, you end up with chaos when they try and retro fit a third lane onto a flyover and it takes months and months....

agree with legend99 and also when building bridges OVER roads they should make provision for adding an extra carriageway at some future date so the bridge can accommodate this extra lane. if the next bit wasnt serious it would be funny. The MI from Dublin ends just short of Dundalk. the next stage takes it around dundalk and dumps it at Ballymascanlon, and then it is going to be a Dual Carriageway to the border, not motorway standard but I suspect close. Recently at a meeting of either Dundalk town council OR Louth county council a proposal was put to put a cycle path/and or a walking path along the new strecth of road ( MI and I assume NI )currently being built. Answer: its illegal to put a cycle path or walkway beside a motorway BUT it WILL be possible to build such a facility beide the dual carriageway from Dundalk to the Border. Unbelievable as the same volume of traffic is going to use this continuous stretch of road.

Back