Dry clean only suit...

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
U

Unregistered

Hi there,
Might sound like a really sad question, but can anyone out there tell me if Dry clean only suits are really dry clean only???
I mean could you get away with throwing them into the washing machine at a low temp?? I've just found out I've to be somewhere tomorrow early. My one and only decent suit is in a pile at the bottom of a basket, and I won't get it to the cleaners in time...
Help please...

I would chance it with the trousers/skirt but not the jacket, I've done it with the jacket before and it never really looks the same around the shoulders where the padding is. Could you spotclean the jacket and wash the other part in the machine at a low temp / delicate wash?

No way with the jacket anyway! I have a suit that says machine washable on the label so I machine wash it and the shoulders are gone weird, even though it claimed to be machine washable. It's 3 years old now so I didn't bother going back to the shop

You could try putting it in the dryer with one of those bounce sheets to freshen it- or hang it in a steamy bathroom.

Am I just being tight or does anyone else think those bounce sheets are daylight robbery? When I do tumble dry, I do it without bounce and the clothes come out fine (wish I could say the same for the ESB bill!)

Last edited:
Unregistered said:
Hi there,
Might sound like a really sad question, but can anyone out there tell me if Dry clean only suits are really dry clean only???
I mean could you get away with throwing them into the washing machine at a low temp?? I've just found out I've to be somewhere tomorrow early. My one and only decent suit is in a pile at the bottom of a basket, and I won't get it to the cleaners in time...
Help please...

I wouldn't recommend it on a good suit.

I usually get my suits pressed (i.e. steam ironed) rather than dry cleaned, as the chemicals in the dry clean (not actually dry, btw) over time will damage the suit.

You could also try steam ironing on a low setting under a sheet - haven't tried this myself, though, so don't sue me if you ruin your Armani suit! :)

Check out this link also .

Hi Sinead- I tend to buy bounce sheets ( or Tesco own brand equivalent) to get rid of static in clothes which I can't bear. Also it makes the clothes smell nice...

Back