Draft from extractor fans

bren1916

Hi,

Now that winter is upon us again I am faced with serious backdrafts from both ceiling and wall fans in the bathroom and kitchen.
Does anyone know of a shop/distributor in Ireland who supplies a backdraft damper/shutter as shown in the link?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG4BS.html

(I would rather buy Irish if possible).

Thanks,

Bren.

They've quoted €49 for a 100mm and 150mm incl Vat and shipping.
The "how much" comment is in reference to the use of draft instead of draught (although in this context draft is correct in American English).

In English the word is spelled draught in some senses and draft in others. Draught beer, draught horse, draught meaning a current of air or a ship's minimum depth of water to float, and the game draughts all retain the older spelling draught. The simplified spelling draft is used for a plan or sketch, for a preliminary version of a document and for the verb meaning to write it, for an order of payment, and for military conscription (although this last meaning is not as common as in American English). In the USA the spelling is draft in all these cases.

Can't help with the original question, but perhaps searching for "draught" in place of "draft" might help.

B & Q have the 4" spring loaded device and most places will have the external plate - but watch out for slapping noises with those.

Of course, buying in B&Q may be considered foreign (as in not Irish) if the OP is trying to avoid that.

A useful tip I've found, is to glue a small piece of slate to the underside of the vent flaps. This allows the flap to be pushed open just enough by the fan to dispell the inside air and stops them flapping around in the wind on the outside.

Thanks everyone but I finally found a supplier today in Wicklow.

Really don't know why these aren't included in ventilation regs re: heat loss?
Ventilation is one thing but constant draughts in winter are another!

Do you know who much these are working out at? Does it say what DB's the fans run at, I cant seem to see it on site.

Just purchased the dampers for my current fans as I intend to fit them myself.
The dampers are very inexpensive so I'd imagine the fans would be similar.
Emailed them originally and they got back within minutes with prices.

Back