Dole and Other entitlements?

If you and your husband are on a very low income don't forget to check the possibility of getting Family Income Supplement. if husband's net weekly income is below €472 and he fulfills the other conditions (employee, works at least 38hr s fortnight etc) for a family of your size you should qualify. If you income is slightly over this then you might qualify if the income levels are raised in the next budget.

Given you appear to be incurring ongoing medical expenses, have you also considered applying for tax relief for these medical expenses?

Taken from Oasis, you may claim tax relief in respect of...

You can claim medical expenses incurred for:
  • Yourself or your spouse
  • Your own child (or any other child of whom you have custody and you maintain at your own expense) under 18 years of age, or if over 18 years is receiving full-time education
  • A child for whom you are granted Incapacitated Child Tax Credit.
Medical expenses attracting tax relief include cost of doctors and consultants visits and a range of other itmes, etc. The first 125 euro in medical expenses per person does not qualify for relief (it's 250 euro where you are claiming in respect of a few people, i.e., a family/children). However, given you appear to have expenses in excess of this amount, you may well find you benefit.

More information on taxation and medical expenses is available in Revenue leaflet IT 6. I hope this has been helpful. :)

Hi and thanks again for the advice. We wouldn't fall into that income category unfortunately/fortunately. We do have VHI healthsteps, paid by my work, for the kids and it's invaluable, as I get 1/2 back on doctors visits, and some for consultants etc...

I'll look into the Revenue Leaflet IT 6 - is that differnet from the MED1 CMCR?

Thanks again!

If your children require more care that other children their age due to ilness or disability whether it is mental, physical or physchological then you may be entitles to a payment from your local healthboard (currently around €230 a month) as well as a yearly respite grant of over €1000 payable in the summer (June I think). Also if your children are sick a lot you may be entitled to become their carer and receive the carer allowance (weekly payment).

The children would have to be very bad asthmatics my mother receives it for my sister however she is in hospital several times a year.
The application would have to come with full doctors notes and recommendation that the child requires extra care.

Check it out

Back