Does the civil service employer cover key roles during long term sick leave?

The main reason I was working fulltime was to build up years of service for the pension. I am post 2004, pre 2013. I am buying some years so hopefully this will help. Going on a four day week would reduce my service by 2 years, if I retire completely at 61 or thereabouts, which I could live with.

I spent most of my working life as a low grade civil/public servant. If there is one thing I learned during all of that time is that all supervisory grades can be done without (more easily than the grades at the coal face) whether they are in service or on sick leave. I've seen many supervisors come and go and without a loyal staff they were always found wanting. Unfortunately, if a supervisor is stressed about work while going on sick leave it shows a non trust of the staff working there. If the staff feel this there may be operational and morale problems for the rest of one's time supervising there. Trust is an expensive item, believe me! - Ask anybody in a relationship.

I suggest the OP trust her staff and keep away from work while on sick leave. Before I retired I spent some time in a hospital ward where I had prostate problems (not many admit to this). I shared a "private" ward with three others Two of the patients were workaholics - one spent the daylight hours ringing his supervisor and managing staff from a hospital bed. Another actively pursued his work and was constantly on the phone and laptop dealing with his business that his wife was running while he was sick. Eventually, we were all discharged and we kept in contact. The two workaholics were readmitted to the hospital within eight weeks of arriving too early back at work. Now, who served the state (and themselves) best?

Last edited:
Also people management (especially these days :oops: ), can quite often be the hardest part of the job, as many friends have told me.
People management is what management is mostly about. The idea of managing people over which I had no real sanction sounds like a nightmare.

Backlog is due to persistent under resources and/or poor work flows. Your never going to work enough hours to sustain that. The issue usually won't get fixed until something fails into crisis. Often that's the persons health trying to keep the wheels on the bus. It's it worth your health. Unlikely.

Thanks all. The whole issue is that most of my staff are part time. I have to absorb THEIR work when they are off as well aa keeping my own work done up. They can't be asked to help out at all as they are part time.

I don't need an operation now as the biopsy was clear. However an operation can't be ruled out in the future. I am considering reducing hours and I just won't return to that role if I have an operation. Even if it means coming out of work altogether.

I don't need an operation now as the biopsy was clear. However an operation can't be ruled out in the future. I am considering reducing hours and I just won't return to that role if I have an operation. Even if it means coming out of work altogether.

That's such a relief for you. Hopefully you won't need an op at all.

Don't rush into doing anything regarding your hours, as your head may be a little all over the place, after what you have been through recently. Let things settle and, in due course, think it all over carefully and make your mind up then.

Back