Home Does insurance cover leaks?

naomhbooboo

i have a felt covered slightly sloped roof at the back of my house. the roof was redone 3 years ago. the other night after the torrential rain we got 8 leaks into our kitchen. i have contacted the roofer who said he will be out to fix it as soon as weather picks up. unfortunately it was so bad that it has put big cracks in my ceiling plaster and down some of the plaster on the walls. would anybody know if this kind of damage is usually covered by house insurance? thanks for any advice offered.

Usually yes, unless the roof is some kind of non-standard build. Check your own policy booklet to be sure.

Your policy will cover damage to your home caused by storm. Depending upon who your insurers are, the liklihood is that the internal damage cost of repairs will only be covered in the event that rainwater ingressed due to physical storm damage to the roof, ie...if the roof covering has been torn/ripped by storm winds with a resultant water ingress. If the water has ingressed due to any other reason,,,ie.. deterioration or construction defects/poor construction of the roof, then Insurers will not meet the cost of external or Internal repairs.

You will need to confirm the cause of the rainwater ingress. If you or your roofer believes that the roof is damaged due to storm, then ask insurers to have the roof examined by them BEFORE you have it repaired. If you have this repaired before they see it, then you will prejudice their position and they will likely decline your claim on that basis. Some insurers MAY deal with the internal damage if this occurred during storm conditions even if the costs of the roof repair is not covered.You will need to discuss this with your own insurers and you should notify them of this problem asap.

Back