Does child maintenance increase for college years?

Pollym

I am separated and have been paying child maintenance of 500 per month for my child. She is starting college this year and am wondering what is normal procedure.
Do I continue to pay full maintenance plus half of college fees and accommodation fees?

Nothing has been agreed yet, just wondering what to expect.
Do I need to pay for books, talravel expenses etc on top of €500 or should that all be included
I'd like to have an idea before discussions

Child Maintenance is based on both parents income and expenditure.

Have you completed an affidavit of means recently?

Do you have a judicial separation yet?
That would set out your respective obligations with regard to providing for your child.
If not are you working towards that?
Do you have a solicitor advising you?
If not then you probably should.
And they should be able to advise on your questions.

Last edited:
Normally maintenance is paid until the child's 23rd birthday if the child is in full time education. In relation to accomodation costs there would be an argument that as your spouse is receiving maintenance presumeably for the child staying with him/her that he/she should put some of this maintenance towards the accomodation. As stated above if your maintenance payments are governed by court order (judicial separation or divorce) then the court order may spell out the terms in detail.

maintenance presumeably for the child staying with him/her that he/she should put some of this maintenance towards the accomodation
Child maintenance is based on both parents income & expenditure.

In this case parent A will have increased expenditure for college costs.

If there are younger children still at home the housing/ utilities cost will stay pretty much the same, with the honourable exception of hot water as teenagers seem to use industrial quantities of the stuff.

So simple answer is to redo the affidavit of means and go from there.

That makes no sense.
Try this:

The poster is paying child maintenance to the other parent, therefore they are not the primary carer, the other parent is.

It intrigues me that folks condemn what they don't understand instead of saying 'I don't understand'.

Back