Home Do you think I can claim? Advice appreciated

colly

I parked my car in a fairly dogey area, dark lane in Dublin 1. Left it overnight and when I came back it had been broken into and about 2k's worth of stuff was taken from the boot, camera, laptop and some other stuff. I'm gutted but it was my own fault, I should have known beter. Big lesson learnt. There were no broken windows etc so not sure how they got in, however when I locked my keys in my car a few weeks ago the guy had it open in 30 seconds with a piece of wire so its not hard.

Thing is, I'm insured with XS Direct and have a 4k excess, so cannot claim off them. However I'm wondering can I claim on my house insurance. I know my camera was listed with my home insurance, but not the other stuff.

Do you think I would be able to claim on my home insurance, for any/all of it?
Thanks

That's tough, Colly.
Depends on the small print.
My car was broken into recently.
They took the sat nav, a pair of binoculars, little radio, etc.
I claimed for, and got - c. €700 from the house insurance.

Last edited:
you need to see if you have unspecified all risks. If not, forget about it!

You would really need to see what your policy covers before you start putting in for any claim.

why would you park a car full of all that equipment? would it of been that much trouble to take the stuff out and carry it with you,CRAZY

Your home insurance is probably your best bet for cover, but also check to see if you bought some of the items by credit card. Some CC providers will cover items for a number of months after you bought them. Also check your annual travel policy (if you have one), if you were in Dublin for more than a few days it is technically a short break, which some providers cover & may cover a certain amount of personal effects - bit of a long shot, but you never know.

www.powerinsurances.ie

Back