Motor do you have to fix car after claim?

chrisboy

Named driver on my policy was in a crash which went 50:50. I wanted look after my car, and they look after their car, but the opposition insurance company wouldnt accept that so it went 50:50.

This means that i have to pay half his costs, and he has to pay half mine. But i didnt put in my costs basically because my car isnt worth much and was happy enough not to fix it as long as i didnt have to pay him.

Anyway, i had to pay a few hundred to get my full no claims bonus restored.

I now feel that i should claim as my car is damaged, and i dont see why i should pay for his car and him not have to pay for mine.

What i want to know is if i get an estimate of the damage to my car, can i claim the money but not get the car fixed? There's just a couple of dents and scratched paint on 2 panels..

Well, that was the answer i was lookin for but was hoping for a bit of back up information to go with it!!

Reason being i went to get a quote off a local panel beater and he was too keen giving a quote, saying if i gave in the quote and they came to look at the car, and the work wasnt done, he might get into trouble?? Doesnt sound right to me.

I offered to pay him for the quote alone.

Well, that was the answer i was lookin for but was hoping for a bit of back up information to go with it!!

Reason being i went to get a quote off a local panel beater and he was too keen giving a quote, saying if i gave in the quote and they came to look at the car, and the work wasnt done, he might get into trouble?? Doesnt sound right to me.

I offered to pay him for the quote alone.

He is "chancing his arm", a quote is just that ie.a quote and is not a contract to get work done.

You have incurred a "loss", ie damage to your car and must be compensated to that effect. This compensation is monetary and it is up to you how you spend it. You can, if you wish, go on a holiday or, surprisingly enough, use it to get the car repaired, the choice is yours.

Back