Do I require Multi Trip Travel Insurance

Roro999

Heading to a European city for 2 months. Have basic health insurance that covers me for up to 63k treatment. Is this sufficient plus the EHIC card or do I need to take out greater health cover ?

If it's a city/country covered by the EHIC and you don't have any serious health conditions and don't engage in risky activities I would be inclined to forego additional travel insurance. Of course, such insurance covers more than just medical mishaps.

What would multi trip cost ?
For the sake of maybe €100 I’d have it just too have an extra layer of cover
It's always worth looking into what you already have and what you are looking to insure against. If it is just medical emergencies, health insurance plans and the EHIC card will cover most things. If it is personal belongings and flights, you might take out cover but I don't think it is worth it.

Multi trip insurance is usually used for several holidays in 12 months, not one extended holiday.

Check the insurance you currently have, to make sure it covers you for a trip longer than 30 days.

Thanks for replies. Multi Trip VHI quote is €59 so I will go for that whilst checking the 2 month aspect versus 30 days as mentioned by gipimann.

Thanks for replies. Multi Trip VHI quote is €59 so I will go for that whilst checking the 2 month aspect versus 30 days as mentioned by gipimann.
Try the code SUMMER23 for a discount. Relative used it recently, hopefully still works.

Extract from Conor Pope article in the Irish Times in which he discusses the pros and cons of travel insurance. Ultimately, he reckons it’s worth it. Admittedly it refers to non EU countries.

An urgent hip replacement in a private hospital in the UK will cost around €30,000 while emergency brain surgery in New Zealand will cost at least twice that while if a person has a massive heart attack in the US they can expect to face a bill of at €200,000.

In short, travel insurance can make life a whole lot easier for less than €100 a year for a multi-trip policy covering a family of five.

Then there is the fact that having access to the public health system in the EU will make little difference to a person who is the victim of a crime and it will most likely not get them home to Ireland in an air ambulance.”

I'm not sure that I'd put much stock in Conor Pope's opinion.
Extract from Conor Pope article in the Irish Times in which he discusses the pros and cons of travel insurance. Ultimately, he reckons it’s worth it.
Personally, I wouldn't put too much stock in what Conor Pope has to say on financial matters.
Then there is the fact that having access to the public health system in the EU will make little difference to a person who is the victim of a crime
This doesn't even make sense.
Is he asserting that if you're injured due to crime then you don't get treated or something?

I'm not sure that I'd put much stock in Conor Pope's opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't put too much stock in what Conor Pope has to say on financial matters.

This doesn't even make sense.
Is he asserting that if you're injured due to crime then you don't get treated or something?
Could he be referring to cover for personal belongings. They may be covered by travel insurance but not your regular health insurance.

From your earlier post.

likely not get them home to Ireland in an air ambulance

I believe the thrust of the assertion relates to the fact that EHIC will cover emergency only.
Not the follow up.
Hence the claim that it probably would be €100 well spent.

My own insurance philosophy is to cover high-cost, low-probability events. I generally choose the highest excess I can.

For example repatriation costs (living and dead) are absolutely astronomical. I’m not old and have good health but I think it’s worth insuring against.

I think he’s saying that free access to the local health system won’t cover you in the event of having your stuff robbed while on holiday.
EHIC gets you basic cover in local facilities. It does not cover repatriation costs or other charges that might apply like emergency services call out charges, etc.. Skiiers are regularly warned not to rely on it as ski rescue & repatriation costs can be very high.

Got chatting with a lady at Dublin Airport while waiting for a flight. She told me that unfortunately her husband had died while on holiday in France. In order to get the body home her health insurer were charging her €31,000 which she was refusing to pay. She told me "that was the day she left him".

You're comparing apples with oranges .
Health Insurance, either EHIC card and/or VHI just covers medical issues
MultiTrip Traval Insurance (or any travel insurance for that matter) covers all the risks associated with travelling, e.g. lost luggage, cancellation, theft etc.
One of the prerequisites of VHI multitrip travel insurance is that you already have their health insurance.
So if you get sick on your holiday, your existing health insurance will cover you ( up to 63k as you said).
But if your apartment is robbed, or you have a travel related issue, you will need to have travel insurance or you're out of luck.

Just checked VHI website and this is what they say about trip duration:
Trip Limits: The duration of a Trip must not exceed the following: • 60 days for Vhi Hospital plan members aged up to and including 64 years • 30 days for Vhi Hospital plan members aged 65 to 79 years

If it were me, I'd take out travel insurance (either VHI Multitrip or another - depending on cost and conditions). There's nothing that will ruin a two month holiday more than getting robbed on the 3rd day, including passport, bank cards, wallet, etc. It's then that you'll wonder why you didn't pay the less than €100 for travel insurance.

Back