Do energy saving bulbs make a difference?

gailey

After a shocking esb bill recently we have changed our usage habits switching off lights, cut back on dryer and dishwasher. Today we also changed all the light bulbs to low energy ones. Our esb bill has increased significantly each month and so I am tryng to find ways of reducing future bills. I am desperate to reduce the bill as it is taking me longer to pay off each bill each month and is getting to the stage that I have just cleared a bill when the next one arrives...
I was just wondering if anyone else has recently changed all of there bulbs have you seen a difference in your esb bill and was it by much?

Try this, it might give you a better idea of where your money is going:

[broken link removed]

Also don't forget the impact that estimates as opposed to actual meter readings has if you are comparing one bill to another, plus the time period of the bill can differ.

Probably the most obvious question is how do you heat your home?

I have looked at the calculator but was just wondering did anyone see an actual difference after changing over to energy saving bulbs.
I have oil heating which is set on timer, an open fire lit every day in winter months, I have an electric hob/oven but I plan on changing in January to dual cooker because oven is not working properly which may also add to cost of esb. I have dishwasher dryer and washmachine which are AAA graded and I use economy setting. We have two showers one is electric and the other is heated by immersion so we have stopped using immersion completely and only use electric shower. Two tvs on every evening and one computer used regulary. Tried cutting back in every way even just using a lamp in sitting room instead of main light and switching all lights off. Dont use outside lights this month.

Hi gailey, I changed most of my bulbs to energy saver ones, but it doesn't have a huge impact on the bill. To figure out the savings you need to know how many units you are using for running lights. For instance, A 60 watt bulb uses one unit (that is, 1 kilowatt-hour, or kWh) in 16 hrs. Let's suppose a unit costs 15c. You will save up to seven eighths of the cost with an energy saver bulb.

So, let's suppose you replaced eight 60 watt bulbs with energy savers. Let's say on average you have all those bulbs going four hours per day (quite a lot). The cost per two-monthly bill with incandescent bulbs is only around twenty euros. With energy-saving CFLs you might get this down to two or three. A worthwhile saving of 16-17 euro but not earth-shattering. If you do the figures, you will see that your lights are unlikely to be a huge share of your bill. Using a lamp instead of your sitting room light will not make you rich.

The big energy users are always going to be those appliances that convert a lot of electricity into heat, that is, electric radiators, immersion heaters, electric showers, clothes dryers, ovens, hobs. A very easy way to save electricity is to use your microwave more. A six-minute blast of a potato in a 900W microwave costs about 1c. To bake it in your oven you could be spending 8c just to warm the oven up BEFORE you start cooking. Ok, you can't cook everything in a microwave, but there's a surprising amount you can. When cooking on a hob, save money by making sure you always have a lid on saucepans.

Here is a handy device:

http://www.electrisave.ie/

It tells you how much electricity you are using at any point in time. You can easily install it yourself -- it involves wrapping a clamp around the incoming wires at your electricity meter, but there are no actual electrical connections to make. It can show you energy usage in watts, cents, or grammes of CO2 ... once you configure it correctly. Unfortunately it's not cheap -- I can't remember exactly what I paid but I'm pretty sure it's something over 100 euro.

See if you can share the cost with someone... you don't need this thing running forever... after a week or two it will have mostly done its job. It's main benefit is that you can measure the real-world power consumption of each of your appliances by switching them on in isolation and watching the meter. I found it was sensitive to approximately 30 watts accuracy... not enough to reliably measure a single energy saver light bulb, but good for the big energy users. I could see that my dryer was by far the biggest culprit on the ESB bill. One immediate saving was I noticed that my oven and hob consume about 90 watts on stand by... switching off the red isolation switch saved money. I was also able to measure the efficiency of the lagging jacket on my immersion tank ... once heated fully the immersion comes on at 2kW for about three or four minutes per hour, so it averages about 100 watts. (Remember that appliances with thermostats don't always use full power all the time -- when measuring your oven, say, you have to watch how often it comes on and for how long, not just how many watts it draws when it is on). I am out of the house for 4 days a week -- it was interesting to note that leaving my cooker on standby was about the same energy usage as leaving the immersion on all the time!

If you can't justify splashing out on the electrisave, watch the big energy items: the dryer etc. Btw, a condensing dryer will be less efficient than a vented one no matter how good its rating. On the other hand, don't throw away "waste" heat in winter or any time you are running your heating... if you fill a sink with hot water, let it stand until it goes cold: you paid to heat it -- why throw it down the plug hole? Same goes for your condenser dryer if you have one ... if it's in a separate utility room leave the door open (assuming you don't have a problem with humidity).

I switched to low energy bulbs but didn't notice a huge difference in the bill (although there was a reduction).

However I found that I saved quite a bit by switching off the TV, DVD, stereo, printer etc, rather than leave them on standby (yes, I know, it's a bit of an ad cliché, but it worked!).

I bought a remote control power system (from Lidl, I think), which allows me to switch off the power for various items individually - very useful when the DVD & stereo don't have "off" switches and are always on standby if plugged in.

No-one above mentions the electric kettle , which is a massive user of electricity.
Also ensure that all appliances are OFF , except for the ones you are using .
I believe that mobile phone chargers use electricity when just plugged in .

The electric kettle, though, is more efficient than other ways of heating water such as the hob/saucepan. The trick is to boil no more than you need at any one time -- overfilling it is a waste.

Everything with a transformer that comes ahead of the power switch in the circuit will use electricity while plugged in. That's everything with a standby light, and everything powered by an external transformer including "wall warts" -- those bulky plugs with built-in transformers. Most smaller consumer electronics are like this. If you have lots of such devices try plugging them into switched 4-gang power strips (or multiple of these if, like me, you have dozens of gadgets) so that you can knock them all off together with a single flick. (With small devices you usually don't have to worry about exceeding the 13 Amp fuse rating, even if you have many devices cascaded off a single socket).

Don't forget that CFL bulbs are toxic waste and cannot be safely disposed of in landfill as regular filament/incandescent bulbs can be. Of course we won't have a choice soon since the latter will no longer be legally available for purchase. If you break a CFL or fluorescent bulb then be careful cleaning up to mitigate the health risks of the mercury that they contain.

I second the Electrisave above or the equivalent that Dub_Nerd mentioned. There's a few on ebay for around €40-€50. They help educate everybody on current usage and show reduced consumption even by powering off one light bulb.
Another suggestion is to challange the kids, take an average esb bill, suggest to the kids that for ever bill lower you'll split the savings between them. When they receive a few euro when the bill arrives it will encourage them to power off lights, games etc. and make them more consious of enery consumption. It worked in our house!!

Don't forget that CFL bulbs are toxic waste and cannot be safely disposed of in landfill as regular filament/incandescent bulbs can be. Of course we won't have a choice soon since the latter will no longer be legally available for purchase. If you break a CFL or fluorescent bulb then be careful cleaning up to mitigate the health risks of the mercury that they contain.

Glad you made this point. Personally have strong feelings about the toxic nature - to mitigate the potential risk keep some sulfur powder in the house then sprinkle it on any broken CFL glass and leave for a few hours. Mercury is a cumulative toxin with very serious side effects. I'm surprised that a risk assessment hasn't been done to tie in with the implementation of the REACH directives.

Any savings are usually offset by the high cost of the CFL to start with.

That may or may not be true, as it depends on the average life of a CFL and how it compares with what it is replacing. It is my opinion that estimates of the life of CFLs err on the high side (this is not based on careful measurement, but the cumulative impression gained from using CFLs for a few years).

There is another consideration than my energy bill, and it weighs with me: on balance, I judge that by using CFLs (and disposing of them correctly) I have a little less impact on the environment.

I bought my house in 1998 and noticed at the time there was a CFL bulb in one of the rooms. I replaced it last year when it blew. Point is - it lasted at least 9 years and possibly more as the bulb may have been in the house for a couple of years. It was in a bathroom that had no windows so the light was left on for many hours a day. They DO LAST A LONG TIME.

Later I replaced most of the bulbs in the house with CFLs (except kids bedside lights - they tend to get knocked over and broken). The results were most impressive. Even as energy prices ramped my electriciy bill either stayed the same or decreased.

I also put in place other things - tried to get kids to take shorter showers; we used a kettle which showed exactly how many cups of water were to be boiled. Also after boiling kettle and using the boiled water we added a cup of cold to it immediately - it absorbs the residual heat of the kettle and is already warmed up for the next boil. We did not put up Xmas lights all over the house and we turned off TVs fully. We enabled energy saving features of our PC and we turned it fully off. We did not have the immersion on unless absolutely necessary. We used an electric shower rather than the bath. We bought A rated wash-mach and drier and dish washer.

I kept an excel spreadsheet of our energy use and you could see the number of units used annually plummetting.

My feeling: CFLs are excellent particularly in rooms where the lights is switched on for much of the time. Cutting your bill is worthwhile - but it does not happen overnight, and requires a little bit of work and thought.

I've had quite a few (big brand name) CFLs fail a lot sooner than some of the regular bulbs that I've used.

As mentioned earlier in most cases the chances are that lighting is a tiny fraction of a household's overally energy usage so there are other areas which will probably yield bigger bang for your buck. Stocking up on CFLs when the attic remains inadequately insulated makes little sense for example.

To my purse? I do not think so. If anything they are an expensive PC directive.

I've bought a few Bosch ones - they all have one thing in common - after about a year's use, they emit a lot less light than they did when new.

I seem to remember the ESB shops were selling CFL's with a 5-year warranty (not much use now I'm afraid), but can't remember which brand.

I agree with Herbie - some brands seem to lose luminence very fast.

All my exterior enclosed lights (porches, garden shed) are regular filament/incandescent bulbs, as are the enclosed bathroom ceiling lights. What can I replace these with when Gormley's directive comes in?

All my exterior enclosed lights (porches, garden shed) are regular filament/incandescent bulbs, as are the enclosed bathroom ceiling lights. What can I replace these with when Gormley's directive comes in?

The simple answer is: new fittings. Yes, they will cost. The whole idea of replacing the bulbs is laudable for its aspiration but the practical implementation simply will be problematic. Of course, because it's a green issue anyone who would dare to raise a head above the parapet against it would be shot down as anti-Earth and in favour of destroying the planet. The car parking tax for anyone whose employer in the major cities provides a parking space is another example of a green move, make people walk or cycle to work. Has anyone looked at the number of Green TDs who are from the country compared with those from Dublin?

they use less electricity which is good for the environment,but they cost a lot so the savings to you on the electricity are negated by the initial cost.

Back