Do banks have to report transactions over a certain amount?

buzybee

I have the State Savings, about 90k in them. I have a lot of small bonds of 8k or less. As these mature, would I be able to consolidate some into a larger value bond e.g. 15k?

When I cash in the 15k, the bank would see these transactions. I am afraid they could report these and cause a revenue audit.

I am taxed jointly with my husband. We have separate savings. He is very secretive about monet and won't tell me what savings he has. I don't want to trigger an audit where my husband will see what savings I have entirely.

I am in my 50s and am hoping to go part tine at work (civil service) over the next few years. My pension isn't great as I was a late joiner, so I will need these savings.

It's not really a specific amount, banks report to their own internal officer who decides if it needs to go further and they report anything that is out of the normal for that account. For example a person in business lodging 20k every week might be nothing unusual for that account but a random account with only ever small transactions suddenly lodges 20k then that is out of the norm for that account. It can trigger an internal report and the Money Laundering Officer then looks to see if there is a reasonable explanation for it, if not then it can go further.

I would guess that the bank would see a cheque or cheques or direct payment to your account as being from State Savings (NTMA) so they would know where the funds are from, and shouldn't trigger any review.
Might be different if you lodged a personal cheque or cash for those amounts where the source was unclear.

As mentioned, unusual transactions with unclear traceability would trigger a warning.

Back