diy tiling

Niallm

Hi we have just purchased a new house and of course there is tiling work to be done.

My question is has anyone with my level of experience (0 to 1 tiles done) had a go and tiled their house ?

yep. several years ago I gave up looking for a tiler and did all my own. 1 kitchen and two bathrooms floors and walls. Main thing to remember is that tiling is 80 % measuring and cutting and 20 sticking. Clean up as you go along and dont let any cement harden on the surface of the tiles. Us a good quality mould resistant grout. I also bought a flat bed tile saw which makes cutting more accurate but slower. take time figuring where to start so that you dont end up with any horrible small tiles at the end or a row, column.

I now tile regularly - hardest part is getting the time and "traffic free" days in bathrooms etc.

Take your time, dont overcomplicate it ( diagonals etc).

There are many previous threads on tiling including a key post which might give you some guidance.

This B&Q guide might help also. You may find some others on Homebase, Woodies or others. Not sure if www.diynot.com have anything.

Hope you fare out better than my better half. The language was choice and the tiling was worse.

I tackled a hall a few years ago as I had got a really good deal on some tiles, only to find it would cost a fortune to pay someone to lay them. My few words of wisdom would be:
- Make sure you put down plywood onto wood
- measure and re-measure every tile (around the edges)
- take your time
- get somehing for cutting (axel grinder)
- work in small areas until you get more confident
- bad grouting is a real diy giveaway, so do your best to get a nice joint

My tiles are still down and look perfect.....I got someone else to do the bathroom a year later and they have all lifted as he didn't use plywood (yet he promised he had!)

Last edited:
When we got our first house, we did our own tiling. OH tiled, I grouted - so we each learned half of the job. We got a decent cutter rather than just a nibblers. OH is pretty handy anyway, but mostly selftaught.

On the grouting side, I got a proper spongy grouting pad and I used to use old ice-lolly sticks to get a nice smooth finish (I later learned that wearing rubber gloves and just running a finer over also does a neat job). Wipe off the excess while still soft, and dust over the tiles at least that day to get any remaining residue off before it gets "stuck" (it's still nice and powdery for a few hours).

The most important thing we learned was to do it slowly - measure twice and cut once. Only mix as much cement/grout as you need at a go (if you don't buy premixed - much easier to get premixed though, if you have the budget). Mix in small batches even if have time to do a lot, can make more and it will allow time for a break.

Can look as good, if not better, than professionals if you take your time, use the right tools etc, as you will have pride in your workin your home. (not like some of the "pros" out there - there are good ones, but they are so busy and expensive).

I estimate it will cost €500 for a tiler to put tiles down in my home where i want them.

I was thinking of doing it myself, along with a friend, but is it costly to buy a tile cutter and all the tools needed to do the job?

Would i be better off just getting a professional to do it?

Back