Dividends

Two more questions to this tread...as a paye employee how do you make your tax payment on your dividend income declaration... submit chq payment to revenue?
Declare it on a Form 12 return and then pay the balance to 41% if applicable?
Also re "DRIP" option to reinvest divend end payments in additional shares instead of cash...how does one go about doing this?
Contact the company's registrar. Not all companies offer this service/option.
Any tips to minimise charges?
DRIP schemes normally involved competitive charges as far as I know. In any case if you want to participate you don't have much choice - i.e. cannot chose to do so through anybody other than the registrar.

Demoivre:

Thanks for your sarcasm again re your 'Some Mothers do 'Ave Em' post.
Who knows maybe you did invest in the stock market and are down heavily in the past 6 months and are feeling aggrieved by your bad timing of the markets.

As for trying my theory out on my next 100 trades you'll be waiting around for about 40 years or so as I only trade for real a few times a year.

I was simply putting forward my theory for AIB and not for every company under the sun.
A solid company that were paying a very good final dividend. I would not have contemplated the exercise on a company paying a 2% final dividend.

If I was to now pick another company with which to play for real with an excellent final dividend it would be Royal Bank of Scotland buying now at £ 3.85 with a big final dividend.

Just saw the big fall in USA.

I would get RBOS for probably £3.65 approx now early Monday going ex div on 7th March
paying a final div of 23.1 p a share that's over 6%.

I am not recommending this share as it would be against the rules here but this time i'll play for real £15k worth and see where i'll stand on 7th March.

Daddy, there are hedge fund managers and savvy traders scrambling over each other trying to exploit tiny market inefficiencies, you're being wildly optimistic to think that the price might not fall on the due date. It's a foregone conclusion. If price does not fall, then it will be for some other reason, ie, some news item that moves the market. Markets are not perfectly efficient but they're not so slow as to allow your plan to work.
This is surely the crux of the issue. There are guys with access to tons of information/expertise/computer models/brains in London/NY/Singapore/wherever looking for the slightest advantage. And some guy in his sitting room in Ballymacsomewhere has found one that they all missed. IMHO possible,(as in 1 in a million) but highly improbable.

Demoivre:

Thanks for your sarcasm again re your 'Some Mothers do 'Ave Em' post.
Who knows maybe you did invest in the stock market and are down heavily in the past 6 months and are feeling aggrieved by your bad timing of the markets.

As for trying my theory out on my next 100 trades you'll be waiting around for about 40 years or so as I only trade for real a few times a year.

I was simply putting forward my theory for AIB and not for every company under the sun.
A solid company that were paying a very good final dividend. I would not have contemplated the exercise on a company paying a 2% final dividend.

If I was to now pick another company with which to play for real with an excellent final dividend it would be Royal Bank of Scotland buying now at £ 3.85 with a big final dividend.

I buy stocks all the time and hold them for ten years plus - I've held stuff since the mid eighties so downturns don't cost me a thought in terms of long term investing. As a short term trader of FTSE futures market direction is irrelevant to me. Your AIB punt was a loser if you did what you said you would do and sold on Friday. To test a strategy you need to look at numerous plays and see how they work out. Short term trading on the ISE is madness because of the costs involved - the odds are stacked against you. To put it in perspective buying 10 lots of FTSE futures, with a value of £575200 costs £10.3 to buy and to sell them costs another £10.3 and that's it ! £575200 is about €750000, which if you spent it on ISE shares ,would cost you €7500 in stamp duty alone - your proposed RBS trade will cost you .5% in stamp duty alone, £75 on the 15k you intend to spend! I would question the wisdom of the short term trading of stocks at all. To be a successful short term trader you need to excel at risk/ money management and discipline - the one thing you need to be certain of when you enter a trade is the maximum amount you are going to lose ! As returns for a trader go your €137 return on €15k is abysmal imo. €15k would be ample to trade 3 FTSE future lots - 4 net points per day is very achievable ( and very conservative imo) in my experience over a decade. For your eight days holding AIB , trading 3 FTSE futures lots intraday instead, could have made you 32 points or in money terms £960 or about € 1250. Just one last thing, and be honest with us now,............................................are you really Frank Spencer. :D:D

Demoivre:

Twice now you have referred to the fact that I would have lost money if I had done what I said I would have done.

The shares were available to sell at 13.95 on Friday morning the day I intended to post.

I quoted 13.85 as a selling point on Thursday as I was unable to post on Friday.

You merely picked 13.69 on a Friday to serve your purposes on that day to indicate that I would have lost money.

All a matter of timing.

Demoivre:

Twice now you have referred to the fact that I would have lost money if I had done what I said I would have done.

The shares were available to sell at 13.95 on Friday morning the day I intended to post.

I quoted 13.85 as a selling point on Thursday as I was unable to post on Friday.

You merely picked 13.69 on a Friday to serve your purposes on that day to indicate that I would have lost money.

All a matter of timing.

Whether you had lost or made money on your hypothetical trade is largely irrelevant - one swallow doesn't make a summer and all that. Myself and others have merely pointed out the risks/costs involved in what you are doing and that the likelihood of you consistently making money playing cum/ex div dates is remote, and even less so in a market where you are paying relatively big costs . Good luck, you'll need it.

Found that 20% withholding tax is deducted.

Shares go ex dividend next Wed 27th Feb.

So if I buy before that date I get the dividend I think.

If I wanted to sell my shares on Thursday 28th Feb will I still be entitled to get the dividend cheque ?

Where can you find out when shares go 'ex-dividend'?

Where can you find out when shares go 'ex-dividend'?

Ask your broker would be one possibility.
I use eTrade and they give information such as Div Ex date along with the payment date on their main snapshot page.

To be honest any finance website worth their salt should have that kind of info. yahoo finance does , reuters.com does also etc etc.

Back