dividends withheld by US revenue

joe sod

I own shares in a etrade account. When I receive dividends on these shares 15% of the dividend is withheld by US revenue. Can I get a credit for dividends withheld by US revenue from irish revenue.

are you a U.S. Person in any way, are you a citizen or entitled to hold a U.S.passport? If not then you can provide a W8-BEN form to the administrator of your shares and they should not then withhold any U.S. tax. The form can be downloaded from the IRS website, you print it, sign it and provide it to the admin. You may need to provide back-up docs like passport copy or proof of address, or you may have provided these already for anti money-laundering.
You don't need to provide the form to the IRS at all, just the admin.

For the tax already paid, I doubt you can get that back through Irish revenue, I would chase the admin for this, you can sign the W8 retrospectively and they should (although I haven't done this bit before myself) be able to claim it back for you.

If you complete a W8-BEN withholding tax of 15% will apply. If the W8-BEN is not completed withholding tax of 30% would have applied.

You can claim a credit in your Irish tax for the US withholding tax paid.

Thanks for that, how do I claim the credit from irish revenue, is it somewhere on the form 11 tax return. Also can I claim credit for dividends deducted in previous years

... Also can I claim credit for dividends deducted in previous years
Revenue only allow a tax-payer to request retrospective reviews for the current tax year minus 4.

They can initiate reviews for as far back as they like.

US dividends have their own box in the Form 11. Revenue will then automatically include a 15% US withholding tax

thanks for that, i have been entering US dividends in that section of form 11, maybe I have been given the credit for the US tax deducted. Presumably if US tax has already deducted 15% then revenue will only deduct a further 5% as my marginal tax rate is 20%. However I have only entered US dividends net of US tax deducted as this is the actual income I have received. I presume this is correct

Back