Dividend declaration in Revenue Online

diarmuidc

Anyone here declare their dividends using the revenue online service? I am trying to declare the dividend from my EU based ETFs but it's not obvious in which category I should declare them. The choices are below and "Dividends and Distributions" seem to be the obvious choice. However when you select this, it tells you " Gross Dividends Received from Companies resident in the State" and these ETF's are based in France. So what to do?

On a related note when declaring US dividends,it tells you to declare the gross amount. Do they then take into account the 15% withhold tax the US applies when calculating your tax due?

New Incomes

Benefit in Kind
Canadian Dividends
Dividends and Distributions
Fees and Commissions
Foreign Pensions
Other Foreign Income
Sch E Non-PAYE Income
UK Dividends
Untaxed Income Arising in the State
Maintenance Payments Received

EDIT: I am PAYE btw.

You would declare both types of dividend income in the Foreign Income section of the ROS Form 11.

The French dividends should, I imagine, be declared under the "Other Foreign Income" heading (the first line of this sub-section deals with foreign interest, dividends etc.)

The US Dividend witholding tax should be entered under the "Irish Tax Deducted On Encashment" heading.

The US Dividend witholding tax should be entered under the "Irish Tax Deducted On Encashment" heading.

I'm not an expert but I don't think so. I believe you enter the gross amount of US dividends as asked, and they will indeed take account of the 15% tax withheld. This appears to have worked for me and on my assessment I see "double taxation relief" listed.

Irish tax deducted would only be entered if an Irish broker deducted money in addition to the US 15%. I have had this happen with US shares that were held with Mercer (or through them).

Ix.

That makes sense, ixtlan. My thinking may indeed be wrong on this, thanks for pointing that out.

Back